Diagnosis
12/2016
Country
US
State
Florida
City
West Melbourne
Anyone been through this process recently? I have a few questions if so. I have received the paperwork needed from the VA for approval.
1.Is there an expiration on this? The reason I asked is that I do not have a wheelchair yet so height requirements are unknown.
2. I think that I need additional approvals for a lift system from what I can read?
3. Should I try to go ahead and pursue the wheelchair before I do anything re: the vehicle (even though it is not needed right now)

I have my first VA appt today for orientation so may have more info from that.

Bruce

I can't answer your questions regarding the VA.

I do strongly suggest you get the wheelchair before you get the wheelchair van. Not all wheelchairs fit in all vans.

I would not buy a van without personally loading my wheelchair into it. You can find out a lot through research and soliciting the experiences of others, but the only way you will know for sure is if you try it out with your wheelchair.

I was surprised at how few vans would accommodate my wheelchair.

Steve

No expiration.
Every two years you get a new 'vehicle modification' allowance. With the trade in of your now 2-year old van, this covers a new van.

Full modification includes the ramp.

Get the van before it's a necessity so you won't be left waiting.

Once you have a power wheelchair contact the folks who sold you the van so they can install the locking system.

I agree with Greg about getting the wheelchair van early. It took awhile for us to get everything sorted out with it. I was glad I was still pretty mobile and able to work on the van when we first go it.

My advice to get the wheelchair first still stands. It is even more important to have mobility when you first get the wheelchair, in my opinion. I spent a month or two tweaking the fit so that it was just right for me. It was great to still be able to get out of the wheelchair and use allen wrenches to make all of those adjustments.

It also provides you the option of repairing all the holes your wheelchair will put in the drywall yourself instead of having to hire it out:).

Steve

If this is your first van, you will get the grant to help pay for the van AND the VA will pay for the cost of modifying it for the wheelchair. If you purchase a new one from a mobility dealer, they will know the ropes and handle the paperwork once you have the approval for the grant. Between the purchase grant and the conversion allowance we paid about 20k for our first van.

The dealer will send a list of modifications to the VA for approval, and then will take the van to be inspected before you pick it up.

You only get the purchase allowance once, but the VA will pay to modify two vehicles every four years. Most poeople trade in every two years, eliminating a lot of worry about maintenance.

We are buying a new van right now--having a Ram ProMaster customized. This company is several states away and won't ship until the van is paid for, so we are paying up front and will be reimbursed by the VA for the cost of items required for my husband.

Contact the prostethics dept of your VA hospital. They pay for the modifications and can give you guidance.

Thanks everyone. My first appt at the local VA clinic was a joke. My assigned PCP has only been there 8 months and his background is kidneys. �� Knew nothing about ALS. I have a followup at the Mayo the end of the month at their ALS clinic. I will stick with it hem until I return to FL. I will probably wait and do everything (wheelchair, van) through Tampa VA as I hear they are pretty good. I have already been approved for the van. There is a mobility company here that I will visit to get an idea of options.

I'd endorse the recommendation to get the wheelchair before ordering the van. Among other things head clearances at the entry point can vary depending on the chair and your height. This relates to vans with folding ramps--a lift may or may not have this issue. Once we'd decided to proceed with a minivan, the process with the VA and mobility outfit went as smoothly as could be--I wish the SAH process were that slick. After the VA contributions, discounts and other rebates our new (2016) fully loaded Chrysler cost less than $13,000. So far it has managed our gravel roads well enough. The trick may be to find a mobility vehicle dealer and VA that are accustomed to working together.

I was glad I had my pwc to make sure the van was right for me the pwc & my cals to drive. New conversion every two yrs this come through prostedtics the van comes because you are 100%. My van $21,000 + $22,000 conversion = $43,000
I paid $36.00. I am getting interested in trading up so this works like this.
My van with conversion as trade in I hope will get $30,000 . I put that to a newer van and prostedtics pays for the second conversion. At least that's how I hope it works out. Chief don't wait on anything va ! Go get it everything van SAH hisa, trilogy etc etc all things take time and you must be pro active. Good luck

I was glad I had my pwc to make sure the van was right for me the pwc & my cals to drive. New conversion every two yrs this come through prostedtics the van comes because you are 100%. My van $21,000 + $22,000 conversion = $43,000
I paid $36.00. I am getting interested in trading up so this works like this.
My van with conversion as trade in I hope will get $30,000 . I put that to a newer van and prostedtics pays for the second conversion. At least that's how I hope it works out. Chief don't wait on anything va ! Go get it everything van SAH hisa, trilogy etc etc all things take time and you must be pro active. Good luck
Thanks Chally,
This damn selling a house and the move back to FL throws a monkey wrench in all the timing of what I would like to do. Oh well, one day at a time!

Bruce

Chief, your PCP will handle normal medical issues (if any issue is normal when you have ALS). The VA standard is to have you treated by an ALS Team. In our case, they do that by sending us to Duke. If the VA isn't send you to Mayo, then you should at the very least be seen by a neuro at the VA who is familiar with ALS.

We've found that we use the VA, Duke, a local doc and medicare/tricare. We like keeping all of hubby's care in one system, but it's just not working that way.

B

Chief, your PCP will handle normal medical issues (if any issue is normal when you have ALS). The VA standard is to have you treated by an ALS Team. In our case, they do that by sending us to Duke. If the VA isn't send you to Mayo, then you should at the very least be seen by a neuro at the VA who is familiar with ALS.

We've found that we use the VA, Duke, a local doc and medicare/tricare. We like keeping all of hubby's care in one system, but it's just not working that way.

B
I just found out that there is not a Neuro at the main VA hospital at Johnson City. That is a couple of hours away. I will try to get a referral to see someone that can spell ALS but until then I will just use the Mayo in Jax through Tricare until the move to FL.

Chief,
Google VHA Handbook 1101.07. It is the VA ALS System of Care Handbook and spells out the kind of support ALS patients are to receive from VA Hospitals. Once you've read it, call your social worker and have her read it. Not having someone familiar with ALS to treat you is unacceptable, unless the VA is sending you to a real ALS Clinic.
Becky

Chief,
Google VHA Handbook 1101.07. It is the VA ALS System of Care Handbook and spells out the kind of support ALS patients are to receive from VA Hospitals. Once you've read it, call your social worker and have her read it. Not having someone familiar with ALS to treat you is unacceptable, unless the VA is sending you to a real ALS Clinic.
Becky

Thanks Becky, I'll look that up!

So I went to a local mobility company here looking at vehicles. The salesman was in a wheelchair. 8). Very informative and knew all the TN VA reps by name. We liked the looks of the Honda Odyssey. He was in a Permobil 500 and had plenty of clearance getting in and out. Anyone have this van?

We have a 2014 Odyssey which has served us well, but I would not get another. If I were going to get another minivan, it would be a Toyota (after driving two years I looked at both again and the Toyota was quieter and felt roomier--this year's models anyway).

Suggest you not only drive in and out of the van, but also try tilting and laying as flat as you can in each model. Which gives you the most flexibility to sleep/rest.

As Matt weakens, riding in the van tires him more, so we are expecting delivery of a Dodge Ram ProMaster that's been customized and made very comfortable for him. He has 75 inches to stretch out in and I can stand straight up to tend him. My fingers are crossed that he'll be more comfortable and able to spend more time on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back