Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
All approvals have been obtained for a van except a scheduled visit to the VA Occupational therapy for a "driver/passenger" evaluation. Any ideas on what I can expect at this eval? ?

We are in Arizona but it was easy. They checked a few things and gave us a list of places we could contact. The whole process went smoothly.

Our dealer took the van to the VA for that look over--at least I assume that's what it was. They wanted to lay eyes on it and make sure everything was right.

Frank, Steve was measured in his power chair. Then the va people suggested vehicles to fit him in his chair. So for instance, at his height in the chair, only the toyota sienna was recommended. The odyssey was second but headroom was non existent. If steve had still been driving, they would have put him in the simulator to evaluate function. This helps them determine the necessary mods for the van.

If you can afford it, I would recommend blind spot monitoring and cross rraffic sensors. The vans are big and at 5 ft 4 in, my sight lines stunk. The blind spot and cross rraffic sensors really helped.

Our "Driver Evaluation" at the VA was really quick. My PALS rolled into the office in her wheelchair and the VA guy said, "Yup, you're disabled. Approved."

Our dealer specialized in modified vans. She delivered a different model to our house each day for a week, and we would roll into it, lock in place, and check it out for fit. The dealer knew all the rules and all the people to deal with, and we just signed papers and drove away with a brand new Braun modified Honda Odyssey. We left our car as a trade in.

When I no longer had a need for the van, I sold it here on this forum at an unbelievably discounted price. Somebody made out big time, and we both appreciate the American taxpayer for taking care of us when we needed the help.

Thanks, everyone. The info is very helpful.

How VA Regions differ ! ! I will be making my 4th visit to Occupational Therapy on Friday. Finally for a two hour road test. And yes, I am fortunate to be on the "expedited" track !

I guess Frank, we forgot to mention, Steve and many pals arent driving. If you can still drive, or there are questions, they road test you via real life or the simulator.

They put me in a car to learn the hand controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back