Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
We need to purchase a generator for a/c, refrigerators, and Steves 2 trilogies, suction, and cough assist. Anyone know if grants are available? Thanks, Steph

Steph, if you still have housing money left, believe you can use it. We got our generator BEFORE we applied for the housing grant but would certainly have used it as part of the grant if we had waited. Believe the grant can be done in 3 parts as long as you stay within the $ limit. A great thing to have- wish we had had it two years ago when we were without power in freezing Michigan at Christmas time! You are a smart lady to think of this!

Used every penny of the grant...even the increase. Then we put a bunch of our own money i to it. Used the hisa grant. I put a request in to guardian angels but I am looking for backup!

Steph - have you used HISA yet? HISA money can be used for a generator.

Research the reliability of the key start. You don't wanna be pulling any ropes to start it like a lawn mower.

We did ours with the grant during the bathroom renovation, but you might ask if prosthetics can purchase one for you. Ours runs the whole house and comes on automatically within 30 seconds of power going out, the switches back automatically when power comes back on. You don't want to be messing with power while you are taking care of hubby.

Thanks. I can call prosthetics and yes mike I dont want to pull a rope to start it. We used all the money in hisa and sah.

Okay, we talked to Prosthetics about a generator last year. We didn't get it because we were in the middle of construction the SAH grant. We consumed all the money in the grant plus some so we didn't try to get one at that time. I called Prosthetics and they said it's possible to get one through them if it isn't a whole house generator. A whole house generator we would have to use HISA...this all what we have experienced. Every VA seems to be different though. As Becky said we did get an increase in the SAH this past September. If you used all of the SAH prior to September or have any left over from it, you can use that grant again, and I believe it can be used for a whole house generator.

Before our last sah grant check was cut, there was an increase. Because we put almost 30k into the remodel they gave us the money. I will call prosthetics and see what they say in Tampa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back