Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
This bed gets great reviews but it's made in Canada, which seems to be a problem.

The bed VA gave us was OK, but the mattress was the most important part. The air mattress was inadequate. We had the VA get us an alternating pressure mattress.

According to their website, they are on contract with the VA.

Greg, I've heard of other Vets having that bed, but not around here. We've requested, but have been told that because of cost it's hard to get them approved. Matt is no longer able to move his legs in bed and his torso is becoming weaker by the day, so we're going to have to do something soon. I just don't see the point in waiting for bed sores in a case like this!

Can anyone tell me if the low air loss mattresses cause problems for people prone to motion sickness? I tired a (less expensive) roho overlay and he hated it.

Becky,
No harm in trying low air loss.

With no pre-existing pressure ulcers, good hygiene/nutrition/hydration/sleep/temperature control, avoiding shear during transfers and transferring every day, a good quality foam overlay in a hospital bed would be fine, too. You can put a slip sheet w/ handles under the top sheet for repositioning in a pinch.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Chris hated the ROHO but loved the low air loss - they are very different to each other. He loved the ROHO seat cushions but not the mattress - one reason was it made him very hot (and it was summer at the time)

Supposedly Steve was getting one of these that a retired general had gotten. Trust me, his hospital bed looks like it was made in 1950....nothing "pro" about it

hospice got me a new bed. it looks just like the old one it came with the alternating pressure mattress. i couldn't sleep in it. the mattress would keep me up, to much going on with it.. i got my old matttress on it now. more and more as time goes on i will be back on that mattress.

The VA people had commented the generals bed was 30k. They were forced to buy it from a depleted budget.

I've heard the VA Hospitals are almost broke as so much of their funds are being diverted to the Choice program. That said, your Vet PALS is entitled to whatever he needs. Don't wait to get the right mattress. After 4 months on a bad one where he had to sleep in his chair, I texted the Secretary of the VA and he got a new bed and mattress within a week. He slept over 12 hours that first night.
I've read several on here who had probed (we did not) and they loved them. I learned long after the fact that there are several levels of the air mattresses and the more settings yours has is better.

Sherry

Sherry, I emailed the secretary about home health. Steve needs it and we were told it would be a minimum of 3 months at our va because they were out of money in November and the new budget started in October. Got an email saying they were looking into it. That was January 6.....nothing since. I will give it this week then I am calling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back