Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
VA has required the loss of ability to walk to qualify for a wheelchair-carrying vehicle grant. This is often too late for PALS. Thanks to a new friend in Enumclaw, Wash, and widow of a PALS, and her politicking with VA, they will soon allow immediate grants to vets with ALS.

This is similar to recent amendments VA made to the Specially Adapted Housing grants. They hope to have it published within the next six months. Hang in there, vets!

This will flow to other PALS, as the quantity of used vehicles increases.

GB
I have a copy of the letter from the Under Secretary of Veterans Affairs for Benefits.

You gotta love VA. They really are trying hard.

It's a shame that so many vets do not understand the benefits available, but it's getting better.

When I was trudging through Korean mud uphill in freezing rain, I often wondered why the hell I volunteered for this. Now at least I know it is appreciated.

With prodding of a DAV neighbor, I tried to sign up at VA several years ago, but they wouldn't take me, as I had served in Vietnam era, but not in theater, and I wasn't poor. Therefore, I mostly ignored the vet stuff on the ALSA site. Indeed, it isn't well spelled out. Email exchanges with the widow mentioned above, enlightened me. She is a friend of a friend who I notified of my ALS.

I'm still pi$$ed at UC Irvine for not asking if I were a vet! Guess they wanted to keep me for themselves.

GB

>When I was trudging through Korean mud uphill in freezing rain, I often wondered why the hell I volunteered for this. Now at least I know it is appreciated.

I felt the same way after pissing away 3 tours in 'nam ....

>When I was trudging through Korean mud uphill in freezing rain, I often wondered why the hell I volunteered for this. Now at least I know it is appreciated.

I felt the same way after pissing away 3 tours in 'nam ....

OMG, your service is appreciated! I hope the VA services keep improving.

My service was in Germany and I have always said that the military had done more for me than I ever done for them. I received the GI bill to go to school and now that I have this awful disease, they are taking care of me. Go VA!

Thank you for all you have done and sacrificed for your country.

I agree, you vets deserve all the benefits that the general taxpayer can provide. As to the wheelchair, my insurance won't pay until I am unable to walk indoors. I'm there now so hopefully they will approve this round. Denied the first application. Got a loaner from the MDA in the meantime. Alex

> I hope the VA services keep improving.

we could not do it w/o them ...

> we could not do it w/o them ...

My options were heading in a wholly different, and sad, direction prior to being told I was eligible ...

In a post somewhere that I cannot now find someone mentioned that VA was doing 'back pay' to cover the time difference between original Dx and VA confirmation of Dx.

Did anyone else catch that, and has anyone confirmed it...?

>Did anyone else catch that, and has anyone confirmed it...?

yes and a very helpful surprise it was! talk to you pva/dav rep ...

I learned yesterday that UC Irvine has a policy of not asking if their ALS patients are veterans, as it has happened to at least two others recently. Bastards!

Retroactive dating from VA partially made up for it.

GB

My PVA rep started the process on a Monday, approved paperwork 1 week later, owned Van on Friday. Total of 12 days.
My PVA rep rocks!
She also got me the highest $...R2

>My PVA rep started the process on a Monday, approved paperwork 1 week later, owned Van on Friday. Total of 12 days.
My PVA rep rocks!
She also got me the highest $...R2

that is incredible! congrats. we should be upfor the van in next weeks (we've been saying that for 9 months). we'll see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back