Not open for further replies.
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Satellite Beach
Hi Everyone,
I have read a lot of information about those in the military and ALS. There is a high rate of veterans who get ALS. The VA has even recognized this but I was wondering if anyone knows if anyone knows if there is a higher level of dependents of veterans who have ALS? I was a military wife for 23 years and I am the one with the ALS.
Thank you!

Hi,

I haven't heard any statistics about dependents. I've read quite abit and nothing that I recall mentions dependents. I think we fit in the civilian category when being counted. I'll be checking back to see if anyone else has more information on this. Be interesting to see if there has been a study done on dependents. Good Luck to you.

The report said that vets of the 90-91 Gulf War, around the world (not necessarily those in the Gulf area) were of increased incidence, and the Air Force was more increased than that, and those in the region were higher still. Then,after VA made PGW vets presumptive, they then made ALL vets presumptive. No word on dependents.

Speculation is that some chemical or radioactive munition did the deed. Since Saddam didn't have any NBC stuff, it stands to reason (in my mind) that our own forces were transporting or using something that affected our people. The military isn't owning up to anything. It's very possible that dependents were also exposed, but no one, to my knowledge, has bothered to ask that question.

It's possible that the exposure was a deliberate experiment. It won't be the first time our government has purposefully exposed our own people, including civilians, to deadly stuff. After a few decades of secrecy, the government finally owned up to experimenting on GIs and others with plutonium, LSD, syphilis, and lethal sprayed chemicals (Project 212). Maybe in a couple of decades they'll admit to giving our people ALS. It's well known that they've been working on neurotoxins, but there's no substantive evidence that dependents were involved.

Could be helpful to make an exact timeline of where you were, when.

On the topic of ALS in general (not necessarily military), I suggest seeing Dr Kevin B Boylan at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. He seems to be a pretty smart guy for ALS.

I've read a lot and never saw anything about dependants. Wouldn't it be wonderful to expose whatever, where ever this horrible monster began and how? God only knows now!

God only knows? I think someone at the CDC knows, too!

I worked in intel and also at command levels overseas. I can assure you that, if someone thinks national security would be improved by killing a few thousand citizens, they'd agree to it with less debate than deciding what to get their wives for Christmas.

Mike, it scares me that you're probably right about your last comment...

Having said that, I've wondered more than a few times if what I'm dealing with has anything to do with my Dad... he served in WWII and Korea, and had alot of weakness in his legs primarily, and used a wheelchair to get around though he could still walk short distances. I don't know what his official diagnosis was, other than peripheral neuropathy, and that could be attributed to wartime injuries. But... still I wonder. Probably grasping at straws, but he did get 100% disability before he passed away at the age of 75. I hope I'm still around and kicking at that age.

Martha,
I have not seen anything to indicate that any entity has captured the information you are speaking of. Seems like it would have been a good idea to track vets and dependents at the same time; however, my hindsight is always 20/20!
My wife was also along for the ride for 23 years and, truth told, you all put up with every bit as much %$*@ as those of us on active duty! I am so sorry that in your case it includes ALS.

I am not a conspiracy theorist so, possible or not, I do not hold to the idea that the cause is rooted in some nefarious U.S. government experiment. And thank you for your service to our country and to your Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine.

Thank you Jeff for for your information but more for your service (your wife as well). I am also sorry yours also included ALS.

No conspiracy theory here, Jeff. I only reference official government documents, in the original, on official government websites.

Jeff, I also discount "conspiracy theories." Too many stories lack good solid support. So I only relay on incontrovertible proof, plainly admitted in details, on official high-level government documents, signed or initialed or admittedly reviewed by known high level government directors.

There are thousands of cases where the US government has totally admitted, officially and publicly, to experimenting on US civilians, military, and even foreigners in friendly countries. They used real, known deadly stuff. Many died of diseases, especially cancer.

Working at the VA, I'm familiar with the benefit programs that were enacted into law as a result of various government "research programs" that were secret at the time, but are public knowledge now. For starters, look up Projects SHAD, 112 and 212, atmospheric testing of ionizing radiation, Projects Longshot, Milrow, and Cannikin. You might remember when President Clinton apologized for the CDC's 40-year "Tuskegee Study" of 600 black men who were told they were being "treated" for "bad blood" and then died of syphilis.

Here's an overview, quoted from a 1994 Government Accounting Office report to the Congressional National Security Subcommittee (which also includes the LSD tests), "…exact numbers may never be known. However, we have identified hundreds of radiological, chemical, and biological tests and experiments in which hundreds of thousands of people were used…without their knowledge…basic safeguards to protect people were not used…some died…20 or 30 years later.”

When our military and intelligence leaders get worried, they have done some nasty stuff in the name of national security. Since things "above Top Secret" can be classified for decades, even after first-hand witnesses have died, a lot of things may never be admitted. And by the way, I used to have 'above Top Secret" when I gathered intelligence in the Navy during the 1970s. (The actual names of the clearances are, themselves, secrets.)

THE GOOD NEWS is that if, in fact, DoD caused this round of military-related ALS, then A) maybe they can treat it, or B) they owe us a LOT of money, and C) we can persuade Congress to put a tighter leash on human experimentation.

THE BAD NEWS is that, historically, it takes a lot of very powerful people to get the government to own up to these things.

We can do something now, at least: Although the Atomic Veteran Registry is still used, and the Depleted Uranium Registry and the Agent Orange Registry continue, the Gulf War ALS Registry was terminated early. We should ask for that to be re-opened.

Martha,...Seems like it would have been a good idea to track vets and dependents at the same time; ....

I think tracking the dependents could not have happened, nor could a dependent's registry receive funding, since, unlike the VA for vets, there is no agency legally charged to specifically track military dependent health outcomes. Dependents healthcare can be provided for and paid for, but I think it cannot be put into a database. I've got a couple of friends who might know about that for sure, but it would take days or weeks to get the answer.

Mike,
I'm familiar with some of the info you mention but, more to the point, I didn't intend a flaming arrow in your direction. My sarcastic tone doesn't always convey well over the keyboard "waves."
We (the U.S.) have long conducted experiments without the knowledge of those participating; I just don't believe (or want to believe!) that ALS is one of them. For those that are public knowledge at this point, I think some accountability is long overdue.
No telling where this will end up but I'll be long dead before it reaches the public, so I want to go out blissfully ignorant! Waiving my little American flag and singing the Star Spangled Banner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back