Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
wa
City
Lynnwood
My beloved husband Jim (age 64) passed away on 10/4/09, seventeen months after diagnosis. It drove me mad taking care of him, the relentless escalation of his care needs. Now, it's a very strange world without him in it. He struggled with Bulbar onset and progressive weakness that finallly, two weeks ago, left him unable to move; then he came down with pneumonia. We'd discussed his wishes about not going "heroic" but did treat with antibiotics through the PEG tube in hopes he would recover enough to attend his retirement party after 40 years of service. He got significantly worse over the next two days and was unable to go to the party, but some co-workers brought the party to him. By that time, we'd had to increase meds for his breathing and comfort to the point that he was not conscious. But, I do hope he heard all the nice things they had to say. It's not a shock, but it is a blow... his death. We had 23 great years before the struggle with this disease began. He passed away two months short of our 25th wedding anniversary. It's hard to be grateful for what you've had when you liked it so much you wanted more - like wanting to go back to your favorite beach! I wish him God Speed, though I will always yearn for him... his laughter, encouragement, forgiveness, support, kisses, teasing, work ethic, loyalty, tender heart, fortitude, gentleness and strength. He had a really "green thumb" and a friend gave him a sign that said a garden is a little piece of heaven fallen to earth. I expect that heavenly garden will be spectacular with Jim tending it!

My husband passed away after 2 years diagnosis, also. This journey is very hard on both the patient and caregiver. It robs you of so much.
My prayers and hugs are with you today. Hopefully the good memories before this ALS came into your life will sustain you, and give you the strength to go on.
My husband and I were married 47 years and we went everywhere together. It is very difficult to switch your life to this single life, but I am trying to go on.
Remember you are not alone and you have many friends on this site!
Hugs,
Caroliney

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this hard time. Hoping your path to "healing" is fast. Happy memories.

Dear Newbie - I'm sure he heard every word! You do your husband Jim a lovely tribute, continue that by living well and his memory will continue on. My thoughts and wishes are with you, and you also Caroliney - I couldn't imagine life without my husband especially after such a long life together. Best to both of you!

Newbie , my thoughts are with you , sorry for your loss , your husband is now at peace . x

Hi Newbie,

My condolences on the passing of your husband.

As this has left a hole in your life, there is still someone that needs your care. It is YOU. Please take care of yourself and be comforted with the thoughts that he is at peace.

Glen

My heartfelt condolences to you & your family.

My condolences! Cherish the memories.

Newbie, what a fabulous and soul FULL tribute to the love of your life. Rest assured that he did hear every loving word. I comfort Web, Matthew and myself with the absolute belief that the only thing that will separate us from Web when he is gone from here is a veil. I can so identify with your love and your loss. Feel my arms around you my friend.
Kay Marie

newbie, thank you very much for telling us about Jim, please accept my condolences on his loss.

Newbie I am so sorry for your loss.
My heart goes out to you.
Dana

So sorry for the loss of your husband.

AL

Dear Newbie,

You penned a wonderful tribute to your husband. Thank you for all of the loving care you provided to Jim in his illness, making life so much more comfortable for him. Many are not as fortunate.

Please accept my condolences on your great loss.

Kim

Newbie, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my sympathies to you and your family. Gradually the pain will lessen and the happy memories will be greater.
Colleen

Newbie, I am so sorry for your loss, I hope that you will find peace and enjoy your memorys.
Beverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back