06/2007
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hi all

I haven't posted very often. My dad died 7th June and I often visit the board to see what other people's experiences are. I thought about submitting this to the local paper, to raise awareness of ALS/MND. I have had the words in my head for a long time and they just all fell out today. Hope it isn't too depressing, it's how I feel. Hope you all doing OK. Thank you

My dad died on 7th June, 24 months and 17 days after he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. According to Wikipedia, MND is a neurological disorder that selectively affects motor neurones the cells that control voluntary muscle activity including speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing and general movement of the body. The reality of this is that people become trapped in their bodies, unable to move, but remain acutely mentally aware of what is happening to them. The period from diagnosis to death is on average 14 months. Nobody knows why people get it and there is no cure. It really is a killer.

My dad, although not a big man, had a huge personality. He was the social glue of the people around him, testimented by the 450 people plus at the funeral. He loved company, loved music, dancing (albeit badly), telling stories, making people laugh, making people happy. He was, as said by several people, a legend. The first thing to go was his speech, which was devastating for somebody who lived to talk to people. Some people get diagnosed with terminal illnesses and climb mountains or run marathons, dad just gave up mentally, unable to comprehend why he has been chosen to get this horrible disease. Things like that didn’t happen to people like us, people like him.

18 months in, he was unable to walk, talk or eat. I would go home with a false smile on my face, trying to cheer everyone up and not notice the tiny withered man in the corner who was still my dad. I took over his role as the social glue, chatting, making sure people had a drink, telling jokes. And all he could do was look at us with his twinkly blue eyes that remained the same, eyes that could see what was happening to him, and the hidden tears of the people he loved. Then I would come home on the train from Manchester and cry till I was empty.

And now it’s over. The times we prayed the nightmare would be over for him, the time people said, ‘it’s time for God to take him’, and now he’s gone and we are left in a very empty dull world without him. That tell me it gets easier, the grief isn’t so raw, time heals. I wish time would hurry up.

People tell me I have his eyes. I wish I could see his again.

Beautiful tribute to your father. Your loving words painted a sweet picture of him and your love is so obvious. Your words brought me to tears of course because this is a journey my mind sees as part of my future but my heart refuses to accept.
I am so very sorry for the loss of your father.
My deepest sympathy.
Dana

thank you for reading Dana, I didnt want to upset anyone! You have time left with your dad, make each day wonderful. You will never accept it totally, we never did and still dont. xx

Like Dana your beautiful tribute has reduced me to tears and yet I want to thank you for sharing. Don't feel bad that we are crying because we know we will face the same pain and the same emptiness and you remind us that there is some comfort in knowing that we are not alone, that we are all connected as human beings with this common trait: love.

No matter where we are from, or what we believe this forum is a place where this ALS experience unites us all. I am treasuring every moment I have with my Dad. He makes it easy to do that and I am blessed for every minute that he has been, and will continue to be, my father. I am so sorry that you are feeling so hurt but I hope you find some comfort in knowing that your Dad's wonderful personality and sparkle live on through you.

Please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss.

thank you thelma313, this board is so wonderful. thank you for reading and your lovely comments

Hope you and your family being strong (well, holding it together)

have a good weekend

Thank you for sharing your story. It made me realize that I have to stop worrying about what is going to happen and cherish each day I have with my mom.

Dana

Yep.....ditto......for sure. Been there, still there, Mom has been gone for a month, as of yesterday. We trudged through it. Prayed for her release. Now we are yearning for her the way she was before. At least we have our memories and our lives are richer for having had her in them. I would never wish for her to be back with us like she was before her death. That wasn't a life....that was hell on earth. I guess it is up to us to keep their memories alive and assume our place in this circle of life.

Last edited:
Very moving...People tell me I have his eyes. I wish I could see his again.

Very sorry for your loss. The description of your father sounds like my husband.

Thank you for sharing.

Froggy102, I hope you have a good weekend too. Stay strong.

Hard to write through the tears

You touched my heart with your words. Any of my 4 children could have written that about me. The tears are flowing and just will not stop, realizing the love and close bond you had with your dad. I would literally do anything for my children or grandchildren, and your words just touched my heart. Thank you, thank you.

May God begin to heal your pain and help replace the empty feeling you have inside with His love.

thank you everyone, am overwhelmed by your kind words and sending love to you all. if i can be of any help to any of you let me know. Mt pockets, your children are lucky and loved, please dont cry.....

xxxxxx

A sons love, none is stronger! I am sure your father watched you with those eyes, never missing a thing, an thinking how proud he was that you were his son!

I wept as I read your wonderful words and thoughts of your Dad.
What a loved person he has been and you are obviously the better for having had him in your life.
Always remember what you have shared and let him rest now .
Take care of you, you are wonderful also.
Weep when you need to, you have been so strong for so long. I admire you.
With best wishes, Anastasia.

thank you anastastia. your kind words mean a lot

Hi
everything you said was exactly the same things i could put myself, the twinkly blue eyes looking back at you so sorrowful, and sometimes pleading. A man withering away instead of playing snooker with his grandsons, or coming out with silly quips etc. It definatley tests your faith, i said awful things to "god", even though im not religeous, i swore etc to a god who could of done this to my dad, he must of been so scared with all this happening, and your right when you said you walked into the room all up beat, making jokes as i did myself but inside i was dying too, and cried like a baby when i left. My god how will we ever get over this tragedy, and loss, i cant get my head round it all.
Iwill say time heals but when people say that to me i just want to tell them to shut up, you know what i mean.
Take care, and im really sorry.

Karen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back