Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WA
City
Kelso
I don't post here much but thought I would share that my incredible big brother passed last night. I thought if I shared our experience it might help others to feel less anxiety when their or their family members time comes.

Dennis's passing was so quick, very quick. Saturday morning he asked for his normal cup of coffee, I kept checking to see if cool enough to drink but by the time it was he was feeling a little queasy so we decided against the coffee. Saturday morning was a decline in his cognitive abilities from just Friday, by Saturday noon there was a HUGE difference. By the time he went to sleep for what has become his typical nap he slept the whole day without waking up. We could tell as the day went on that he was probably not going to wake up. His breathing patterns changed consistently has he slept and we could tell the end was near within a day or two, we just didn't quite expect it at the moment it happened.

Dennis had been coughing something horrible for a while now and having problems with his secretions, I noticed on Friday that wasn't really the case, he just seemed comfortable. Saturday it was more so, he just seemed comfortable. Its all I could keep saying to Diane. Now, I have to tell you a funny - Saturday morning Dennis asked me "Sis, where is Diane". I told him she was out on the patio but could I do something for him, CLEAR as we all speak he said "Yes, I want her to KNOCK me out", he said it in definitive, specific tone, not scared or mean or anything, just that is what he wanted. I asked him if he meant he wanted his pain meds so he could take a nap, he said yes. So I got Diane and she gave him his morphine. (I can't remember if this was his 1st dose that morning or his second). About 2hrs later, he was still awake, he again "Sis, where is Diane?", I told him she had just went out back to smoke a cigarette, what could I do for him? Again, just as clear as we all speak "Tell her to KNOCK ME OUT", I chuckled and asked if it was meds he wanted again, he said "Yes, knock me out". The tone he said it was just as much as one of us saying something to the point "I'm tired, I'm going to bed" and being very definitive about it. He also did NOT slur at all. So when it was time she gave him a dose of his other med that we know makes him sleepy since that is what he wanted. He promptly fell asleep. I had made the comment all day, wouldn't that be weird if that is the last thing my big brother said...damn it if it wasn't! about 8-10hrs later he died, VERY peacefully & with lots of love around him.

Dennis did donate his body to science, they asked him for his central nervous system. Someday Dennis may have played a role in finding a cause or cure for ALS from his selfless choice he made.

Out of the 4 deaths I have been part of watching & holding a bedside vigil, I've never seen one as swift & peaceful.

Ellie
RIP big brother, you will forever be loved & never leave my heart.

Hi Ellie,
Please accept condolences from my family to yours.

You are an angel for granting his last wish.

Glen & Wanda

Hi, Ellie

My condolences to you and your family.

Rhonda

My condolences on the loss of your brother.

Your story is very touching. It's wonderful that you were able to be with him and hear his words!

Ellie

I am really sorry for you loss. I am greatful it was so peaceful. I believe the end is near for Tim to. He is also a Tissue Banking Donor for ALS Research. Not a full body donation. Just parts of the Brain and Spinal fluid. The parts needed for ALS research. Your brother like mine made a wonderful decision in doing this. It is a very significant contribution to ALS Research. I wish a lot more people would consider this!

Bless you and your Family,

Lorie :(

Ellie, I am very sorry for your loss of your brother. He was lucky to have a sister like you and and I am glad that he was willing to donate his body so that maybe someday this disease will be history. I think that it is something that we should all consider. Thank you for being there for your brother.

Barry

Ellie, I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful brother. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You have my deepest sympathies and I hope you find comfort in the knowledge that Dennis is not suffering anymore and that his final hours were spent with those who loved him most. Your dedication is an inspiration.

I am so sorry for your loss. But your brother's story has helped me to make a decision. I too was wondering about donating my organs to science. Now I am going to do that.

Ellie,
I am so sorry for the loss of your brother.
My deepest sympathy.
Dana

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I wish you and your family peace.
Barb

Dear Ellie,
Thank you for sharing we us. That would be how I would want to go. Peacefully and loved in my sleep. Sorry, for your loss, brothers are so special. Hugs

I am sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your story. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dana

Condolances

I am sorry to hear of this, but glad he went so easy. Just remember in this time of grief that his donation may help many people. I am not good with words, but hope it gets the idea across. I only hope, that when my time to go comes, it is as quick and easy.

Perry

Ellie,

Beautifuly written! Thank you for sharing your story. Please accept my condolences.

Kim

From one sister who has lost her brother to another,I'm so happy for you that you were with him at the end.My brother went peacefully too. Your brother was wonderful to donate his body to help find a cure for this terrible disease. My condolences to you and your family. Eventually you will be able to remember him the way he was before. I'm sure you will have many happy memories to help you in the years to come.
Colleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back