Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
OH
City
Toledo
I don't post much - but I read a LOT here. This site has been my lifeline for me and my mom. The last I posted the whole home care vs nursing home thing was driving me nuts - I wanted to take care of mom. Then I got hospitalized for over a week with MRSA (I kid you not)

I got out and for a week I was on a hideous antibiotic making me ill so I was on my couch.

I finally felt better - and we had decided that we would move mom into hospice - she was eligable due toher ALS diagnosis. It was quieter and the people were far more attentive, etc.

I saw her Monday evening. We helped move her to her room. We settled her in. My husband stopped in the next morning. We couldn't go in the evening because we had done NO shopping for our kids. So we let her know.

Our Christmas eve was to be spent all day with her - then Christmas day more of the same.

At 7:30 am - the phone rang.
My mom passed in the early morning.
She passed in her sleep.

I kept looking at her waiting for her to take her breath...
She was quiet. And at rest. Her hands were still warm.
I had a hard time leaving the room.

The nurse only knew her for two mornings and was shook up - she said that she had never seen anything like it: someone moves in - is comfortable - no signs of wrestlesness at all - and just quietly goes...

The helpers from the rehab facility (2 floors up) came down to my mom's room. And they were even crying. One even petted her hair and said, "She's so beautiful..." and I started crying. I can't stop crying.

I will say that in reading everyone's journeys here - I felt a *bit* prepared... but this is just freaking heartbreaking. I cannot believe she is gone. And so FAST. I mean - we were thinking 6 months - she was doing ok... I am in shock. I lost my mom. That was never supposed to happen.

I spent Christmas eve at the Funeral Home filling out this picking out that. They have Christmas music piping in = it's a local pop station. So I am sitting there with tear stains all down my cheeks and I hear Paul McArtney sing "we're simply having a wonderful christmas time!" and its sugury and upbeat. I took one look at my husband and we both just cracked up.

I hate that this disease took her body and stole her breath.

I still celebrate the Lord and this Christmas Day - imagining that my mom left because she couldn't stand the thought of being with me for the holidays ;-) and imagining that she is now dancing with my dad... and that she...
is free.

So sorry for the loss of your mom. This is my first Christmas without my mom, too. I love that your mom is dancing the Christmas Eve away with your dad. I imagine my mom is cracking up at how uptight I am this Christmas, loathing everything that isn't what SHE would have done.

How blessed to have your husband with you to bring some levity to what must be so heartbreaking.

Kaija

Hi Ohio! My heart goes out to you. I have been torn between this forum and my kitchen................yesssss, my kitchen (LOL) I have been cooking up a storm. You name it, and it's in my kitchen! Getting back to....................I am so sorry about your mom. That is a terrible feeling, becaude it happened to us ,too. My dear son was assigned hospice on June 2, 2007. He was alert when they came over to my house. Paperwork...all kinds of paperwork was filled and signed, care, DNR papers, and what have ya' My son even told his nurse that he liked her already, because she was so nicle. He even asked her if she was coming back the next day, and guess what? The next day never came....the rest is too heartbreaking, and it can be found in my last posts. May God bless you, and your sweet Mom, may she rest in peace. Keep us posted, and we love you guys....God loves us!

Irma
Sad during this holiday

I'm so sorry for the loss you have to bare, especially in a season when joy and happiness are expected. The Lord be with you and give you peace.

Ann

hello ohio,
My sympathy to you in this time of loss, may God bless you with wonderful memories of your mother,
prayers are with you,
-brenda

OhioArt2,

I'm very sorry for your loss during such a celebratory time. I believe your mother is dancing with your father in eternity!

Hope you were able to find enjoyment with your husband and children this Christmas day.

Sorrry for your loss OhioArt2.

AL.

I am sorry for you loss. There is never a good time to go and never a good way. Come back to us when life settles down a little. We are here for you. Cindy

So sorry that you spent your Christmas this way, we will continue ot pray for all of the families that lost someone to this disease. When you wrote about laughing with your husband....thats my favorite emotion on earth- laughing through tears.
Peace be with you,
Love,
Cindy

Ohio,

I am so sad to hear of your mother's passing. I can totally relate to the ridiculousness of the seasonal happy, hub bub when all you want to do is curl up in a ball and cry. My mother is battling ALS, and I know all too well the pain.

Peace be with you,

Love,
Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back