Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
Md
City
Rockville
Hi, my sister has als. As we can't go off for a spa weekend as once hoped, I want to do a spa day (or hour) for her in her home. She can't speak. She doesn't communicate well. What do folks recommend? Foot massage? Facial? I'm new at this and want to help her feel better and feel helpless. I'd ask her but that's doesn't work anymore. Would love advice.

Re: Want to give sister a spa "day"

My PALS loves a good massage. The problem he has now is that he has the feeding tube so can't lay on this stomach. Although, I think he could if he were to find a place that does maternity massages. He also can't lay flat without feeling shortness of breath so that would probably keep him from getting a full massage at this point. The last massage he did was a chair massage.

Not sure where your sister's progression is at this point? Can she not communicate via text to speech? It would be nice to know what she would enjoy?! A facial and a pedicure would be really nice. Maybe even a manicure? I really enjoy a good hand massage.

So nice of you to think of nice things you can do for your sister.

I have a spa pedicure once a month at home, we use the tilt on the power chair as it makes it easy to get my feet in and out of the bubbles. She does a very gentle massage of my feet and lower legs that really reduces the swelling I get. i love it and it always makes me feel nicer. I also get reflexology when I go to hospice which is yummy as the therapist mixes up special aromatherapy oils. I find this is benificial as it's very relaxing and we have a mindfulness meditation session while she is working on my feet.

What you do will depend on how mobile she is for access and what kind of things she liked before her illness. It's a lovely idea.

Wendy

I would talk to different masseuse and explain you need a gentle relaxation massage in your home. They may be able to use a twin bed for it. I would give them a heads up about her condition. If u are contacting a spa, they may have someone to do nails that could come out. You may need to pay a premium. Remember though, even though you have beautiful intentions, your pals may only be able to tolerate 1 partial service.

For ambiance, consider her favorite flowers, music, aromatherapy as Wendy says...

Hello new friends. Thanks to all who answered - I appreciate your advice. It seems this may not be a good idea at all, as she is having so many troubles the past few days. She is only 57. It all started with trouble speaking, so her voice, throat, and facial features no longer work properly. She mixes up yes and no, so it's very difficult to know if she means what she appears to be "saying". She can walk, slowly, but has fallen lately. The walker and chair are now at home, but she won't use them yet. She can not communicate. The expensive computer that should help her is difficult for any of us to figure out, and so complicated to form simple thoughts, that it's not used. We've got a communication board ordered. She has a feeding tube but is having difficulty breathing. There is talk of a tracheotomy. I'm in another state with three kids and have not seen her since new years. We will visit next week, and have been told its best to visit one at a time, as she's easily exhausted. I'm so sad. So angry. So helpless. I'm the fixer in our family, but this is not fixable. I appreciate you hearing me out. This is a really lonely road, and just having a place to write and perhaps be heard is comforting. Thanks again. So I will not hire anyone, but will get flowers, a pretty smelly candle, oils, and give her my own version of afoot and leg massage, as I don't feel a stranger will be welcome, and I don't want to upset her. Especially since no one really knows what she is feeling, or how to read her reactions. I will update, and continue reading through this site for information that could possibly guide me more wisely. Thanks!

You can buy some fractionated coconut oil on Amazon. It is fragrance free and makes a very good massage oil. Make sure the massage is very gentle. Ask if smells bother her. If someone put a scented candle in my house, I'd have to leave because I'm super sensitive to noises and smells.

You're a good sister.

So sorry Chrissy! ALS sucks! HUGS!

Definitely check about smells as some bulbar PALS develop intolerances. If that is not an issue candles or an oil burner may be a lovely gift.

Massage and ROM is so important for PALS, but you do need to be careful and ensure you get a lot of feedback from her as you work on her so that you don't damage joints.

Give her as much of yourself as she can handle, you will never regret that!

We have a person come into our home to give massages. Sometimes we both get one, other times it is just Darcey. Today was one of those "Darcey days". Rylie, our Licensed Massage Therapist, attends to Darcey in her hospital bed. I dress Darcey in a pair of panties and loose t-shirt. First, Rylie lifts the head of the bed all the way up and leans Darcey forward so that she bends at the waste. Darcey doesn't have any muscle strength left in her back so pillows are used to keep her comfortable and to keep her from falling to one side or the other. Rylie works from the side and massages her back, shoulders and neck. Recently, Darcey's head seems to have an elastic band on it... as it gets pulled hard to the right. I'll often push her head slowly back to the left to stretch the muscle on the right side of her shoulder/head/neck area. Rylie noted how tight that are was and gave it extra attention, today. Darcey then gets leaned back onto the bed and its head is lowered so that she's laying flat. Rylie can then attend to arms, hands, feet and legs. After an hour, Darcey has turned to jello... and she'll often not move for the next 30-60 minutes after the massage is finished. Today, Rylie thanked Darcey by saying, "After working with you these past 6+ months, I've decided to return to school so that I can become an Occupational Therapist. I'm hoping to combine my LMT and OT training to provide better aid to those with muscular or neurological disorders. Thank you for inspiring me to want to do more!" So, today, Darcey felt good for much more than another awesome massage. I hope you're able to find that something that your sister might appreciate.

My best!

Jim

Thank you all for your kind, encouraging words. I was too late.. My beautiful loving sister passed away last night. Been driving all day to be home with family. Bless you all and much love and strength in your journey.

Very sorry for your loss, Chrissy, but glad you and your sister had all the years you shared, and she knew how much you loved her. I wish you and your family peace and strength.

Best,
Laurie

I'm so very sorry for your loss xxx

Oh Chrissy...I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was very lucky to have you. Big hugs to you.

So sorry for your loss Crissy. May peace be with you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back