Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
CT
City
Wallingford
It's amazing how in the end, this grief really is about how I've lost the love of my life and not as much about the way I lost him or the tremendous amount of caregiving I did to keep him alive as long as possible. But...the way I lost him is not OK either and I think it's given me PTSD. He was tortured by this disease and I watched the torture. Now I have nightmares and I can't sleep.

He went down in a week and died at home. For the later part of that last week he was asking us to take his BiPap mask off but we didn't know that's what he was doing, or more likely, we didn't want to believe it. He knew days before we did that taking it off would kill him and we didn't know he was ready. I stay awake at night now thinking about how he suffered those days, wanting to die. Just one week before that final decent he was walking around on his own two feet, with my help. He and I were managing all of it day after day, we were together, we were communicating and in love. Then, everything changed and he was gone within a week. And now I can't sleep.

That morning he died, the family and I sat by his side. I read to him as many Facebook messages as I could from friends wishing us both well and telling us that they were thinking of us and that they loved us. One friend had performed and recorded one of his songs (he was a singer/songwriter) and it sounded great. Only a week earlier he would have been nuts about it. When that song ended he stopped breathing, with his eyes open, but wasn't gone yet. I reclined his chair so he could lay flat for the first time in almost a year. Then I laid down with him, next to him, for the first time in almost a year. He was warm and it was exactly like it used to be when we'd spend hours together like that, laying down together. With my eyes closed I could imagine we were just still indulging in that together. Then I realized I should pay attention to whether or not he really was gone yet, probably acting on my caregiver instinct. He had already stopped breathing but his lips were twitching. So I felt the pulse in his wrist and counted three pulses over the course of one full minute, the last one taking the longest. Then there were none. At that point the part of my body that was touching his body felt a strong tingling feeling. As paranormal as that sounds, it really did happen....I felt it and then he was gone. I think it was his energy and maybe I absorbed some of it. I hope, like those who have had near death experiences claim, he felt peace as he left his body. Who knows what happened to him next.

I think about how for months before he had become obsessed about dying, always asking Hospice what it would be like, how it would happen, how we would know if it was happening. Nobody ever really answered him well enough because there's really not an answer. The only thing we knew was that it was inevitable and was going to happen sooner than later. I think he just worked it out on his own, in the end.

So, it sucked and it wasn't "beautiful". Maybe some day I'll see it that way but for now it was horrible. It happened over a month ago but I still spend my time crying and missing him. I also spend my time trying to do something productive but finding reasons not to. Mostly, I can't sleep. I take stuff to help sleep but I wake up after 2 or 3 hours, no matter what.

I never wrote on this forum enough, I mostly read what other people wrote and took the advice. I did reply a couple of times and always meant to do more. I can write a book about caring for a person with Bulbar ALS. I probably should some day. That's why I wrote this post...for others who were told that the end stage, as in THE end, would be comfortable and everything would be cozy and OK. Well it wasn't OK. Everything he had always feared, being immobile and helpless, unable to communicate, trapped....that all happened despite my promise that I wouldn't let it happen that way and that I'd keep him comfortable with the abundance of Hospice drugs. I guess I could be grateful that the worst of it only lasted a week. I had no idea how fast he would be taken down. If I could do it over, knowing what I know now, as much as I doubt I could do it I would hasten his death for him when he asked me to, if possible. It wouldn't have taken much, I realize now. I was in such caregiver mode that I kept him alive longer than he wanted. One night I even instinctively re-started his heart after a long period of agitation and panic. I hope now that I didn't just cause him even more suffering by doing that. Well, only three days but they were undoubtedly horrible for him and for the rest of his family to witness. The whole thing was traumatic and no amount of expectation makes the loss or the experience of it OK.

Someday I will probably get there, to that place where memories take over and fill the void....blah blah blah. Right now, I kind of don't even want to hear those three painful letters that killed him - the disease that tortured and slowly killed my fiancé right in front of me despite every effort to stop it. I am still in love with him and now I can't sleep.

:sad:

I'm so sorry it was so torturous for you both.

I would strongly suggest you get to a grief and loss counsellor so you can really work through this, there is a lot you are left to work through.

I truly hope you find some peace with it soon, I say that with trepidation because I don't mean that in a glib way, I truly mean it.

I lost my husband to bulbar onset ALS and I know the grief, it is just huge and you will need all the help you can get, wherever you can get it. We will be part of that help if you would like that xxx

My sincere condolences. I hope you can get get some councel and help with sleep. My thoughts are with you

I'm sorry for your loss, CS. I don't think anyone considers death "beautiful." Sometimes, as in this case, it is a train coming that you can't or don't want to see. It sounds like you did all you could for him during his journey, and you will see that more clearly with time. Meanwhile, be good to yourself and seek out support if you need it.

Best,
Laurie

So sorry for your loss.

Shedding tears with you����

I am so very sorry this happened to both of you. Loss is loss however it comes, and this disease is one of the harshest possible ways.

I think the "beautiful" can come into deaths that are very unlike terrible diseases. When my good friend's 94 year old father left this world from a slow heart failure and friends came to hold his hand, say last words, and it was all painless that was beautiful . This is very different.

I am so sorry for your loss and for this terribly painful experience you describe. I also think therapy to work through your grief might be helpful for you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

CS, my heart breaks for you. You can post more often now--the Past CALS section might be a good place for support (frankly, we all read it--I think--so you still get the rest of us).

I hope you find peace. I'm sure he would want that for you. Try to keep that in mind while you grieve.

Becky

I dont know if any death is a good death. We can only try to use the guidelines we are given by our pals to make it as comfortable as possible. It is not easy seeing the decline....it was the hardest part my myself and my son. But then I think how hard it was for my husband. In the end, you can only do your very best....

I am so sorry for your pain. Most people have little experience in being with people who are dying so they just do their best--as you did and I suspect your fiance knew this. You have learned from this experience with your fiance and someday you will be able to use what you learned to help someone else make different decisions. Maybe you can try to hold onto to the part where you laid down beside him and felt the tingling when his spirit left his body, and just try with all your might to block all the rest for now? That was a beautiful moment that you may recognize as being beautiful someday. You wrote with gut wrenching honesty about what happened and that is part of being able to put the bad moments behind you. Keep writing as that can help. Thinking of you and praying you will find some peace.

I'm sorry for your loss. I also suspect that writing what you did was extremely difficult. But you wrote beautifully and I'm certain it will be a help to others. As the days continue to pass, I hope that you'll find that the love you shared has not died but lives on through you. And on those darkest of days, that same love will be the buoy that brings back the memories that will make you smile and provide you light in the new day.

My best,

Jim

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is no sufficient preparation for watching your loved one die. Praying that you will find peace and comfort with each passing day.

Thank you for sharing this, my partner has bulbar ALS and I also fear what the end will be like for him, as he does not want any sort of intervention and he fears more than anything being trapped in his body. I also fear how being a caregiver may blind me to certain things, including keeping him going beyond what is necessary. I learned this once with a beloved cat that I forced to live beyond what was appropriate, so perhaps that will prepare me for this situation.

Even though it was a horrible experience, there is a certain beauty in your writing that comes across in the way you express the love you felt for him and the intimate moments you shared.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My father passed away a year ago from ALS but his was limb onset. I wasn't my dad's caretaker but I still attend a grief support group and it has helped me tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back