Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
AUS
State
Western Australia
City
By the beach
When I left school, my first job was in a surveyors office. We really were like a big family, and I was particularly close to one of the draftsmen and his family.
Greg was absolutely the nicest guy you could ever meet, I loved his wife Marg and adored their two kids who I would babysit.
I left town, they left town, and over the years we lost contact. Funnily enough Wayne and I bumped into them on our Honeymoon in a town called Denmark, 1000kms from home in WA.
I recently made contact with Greg again, through our old boss's mother in law.
Greg had bulbar onset ALS. Greg had the kind of voice that even if he was reading the dictionary aloud, you could sit and listen all day. When I read his emails to me, I can still hear him say "g'day Janelle".
I saw him on the way home from Sydney, in Perth, I'm thrilled he got to meet my kids, and we had a great chat about everything via his iPad. We organised to catch up again in June when we go back to Perth.
But...no more. Greg died over the weekend. He's now free.
I feel trapped by grief...I wasn't even his CALS and the pain of his passing is so great.
How do you cope...does the loss of someone so greatly admired get easier?
God Bless, Janelle x

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. Whatever the cause we grieve. It is sharper when the cause is ALS. In my real life I have had a few people not from my family die from ALS and it hit harder than it would have otherwise. But time does make it easier. May he fly free! Probably talking up a storm now

>He's now free.

yes. that is the thought we must keep ....

Janelle,

we never 'get over it', we carry the sorrow all our lives.

But we do find a way to redefine ourselves and live with the pain.

I am so glad you got to see him recently, you can cherish that even in your pain. And yes he is free now. Not the freedom we want the ones we love to have, but free nonetheless.

Hugs to you as you grieve xx

So sorry to hear of Gregs passing, it was great that you were able to catch up, hugs to you mt friend.
Love Gem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back