Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
Midwest
City
Small town
An hour again I got a call from the VA hospital where my husband had a peg tube put in friday morning that he had passed away peacefully in his sleep. After calling our children, where else would I go but to my strong friends who have saved my sanity these past months on the forum with their courage, humor, support and good advice. I have learned so much from all of you. The surgery was supposed to be the beginning of an easier time- no more struggling to swallow and get his boost down to keep his body going. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and this will all have been a nightmare. I just read tonight of the passing of another pals - and she commented that the grieving starts the day the diagnosis is given. How true. So through my tears I can be grateful for so many things, but mostly that his pain is over and his body is whole again. And I'm grateful that I have had the privilege of loving him and caring for him through this unasked for journey called ALS and that the last few days I was by his side at the hospital. And I am grateful he told the doctor today that I was his "rock."
And I can be grateful for 54 years of marriage to a good man who loved me and his family. I can be grateful that he called and talked to both of our girls tonight, and that all 4 of our granddaughters had sent him messages Friday, that I read to him. I am grateful that we were here in Florida - our "happy place"where we shared the warmth of the Florida sun, listened to the waves each day, and got to see the beauty of the beach and sunrises and sunsets amongst our friends who have become like family. When we got here 2 weeks ago, he stood looking at the beach and said, " I never thought I would see this again, and it's so beautiful." I am grateful for our friends and neighbors in Michigan who have stuck by us through this journey, helped us and made us feel loved . And I am grateful for the devotion of his beloved "Sweetie cat" who knew she was needed, and spent hours each day on his lap providing comfort to him and helping pass those hours of time when there was nothing else he could do.
And now I'll wait for morning before going to gather his things and make arrangements for his earthly body. And maybe when the sun rises, I wil wake to find out it was a nightmare. But I guess mostly, I have to celebrate that he is free and happy again. And I know he is in God's hands. Rest in peace, my dearly beloved Joe. I hope heaven has a beautiful golf course and jogging trail for you to enjoy again. Life without you is incomprehensible. Donna

Oh Donna, that was a beautiful tribute to your husband. I am so sorry for your loss but so happy that he is now flying free.

Too many losses this week...

My condolences

Oh Donna, I just can't imagine how hard it would be to accept and realise that it is so suddenly over. Your tribute was so beautiful and your love for him and your time as his CALS meant all the world to him in dealing with this monster.

Huge hugs of condolence to you my sister in pain. We are indeed family here.

I am so very sorry. Wishing you peace and comfort

So sorry for your loss. Sending prayers for comfort and strength to you and your family.

Donna, our condolences on your loss. Talking to the girls and being in the FL warmth I am sure helped immeasurably. You are a rock in the surf of life.

Max & Sandy

A wonderful tribute. My deepest sympathy.
Vincent

Donna,

I am so without words. My heart aches for you and my eyes are making it difficult to see what I write. We know on some level that there will be an ending before there can be another beginning, but we're never prepared for that transition. I hope you can feel our hugs and well wishes...

Jim & Darcey

I'm so sorry, Donna. May he Rest in Peace.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am so glad that you had so many wonderful years together. Your post brought tears to my eyes, tears of sadness for you but also tears because you are such an inspiration to me. Thank you.

Donna, I dont know what to say...I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. Many hugs and prayers, Steph

My condolencesq

I am very sad to here that Joe's journey has ended...and hope that you are ok.
You have been an appreciated player on this forum, I hope you continue to keep us posted on how you are doing.:(

Donna, there are no words to tell you how truly sorry we are for your loss. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Your words have comforted me since I joined this forum, gave me courage and strength and made me a better caregiver. I hope you take some small comfort in knowing that we are thinking of you, sending many prayers and hugs.

Kaye and Grumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back