Friend was DX
Country
US
State
VA
City
Gainesville
Hello,

I had a dear friend pass away from complications of ALS on October 8th of this year. He was diagnosed with bulbar ALS exactly 1 year prior to his death.

We lived far apart and the last time I spoke to him he was awaiting results to see if he had ALS. At this point, his speech was becoming slurred and my first reaction was that he had had a stroke. He had said that he had many tests over the summer and he was confident he would be diagnosed with ALS.

Fast forward a year and I received word that he had passed away at his home with his wife and son by his side. To say the least, I was devastated and cannot believe that I never took the time to read about ALS and what his future would hold. I regret many things - not calling to check on him (always said I would call tomorrow!) and more importantly not flying out to visit him to tell him that I loved him and to share in old memories.

I was able to fly out to his funeral and visit with his family. I have realized that life is full of uncertainty and to live life with no regrets. Take the time to visit with family and friends- a 5 min phone call can be done!

Rest in peace dear Joe and know that your friendship meant the world.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Time slips away quickly for PALS. We have to learn to enjoy each moment and make the most of each day we are given.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to post about your regrets. Your friend most likely understood.

Shortly after my husband died, I ran into a friend of his from high school. At 16, my husband went to live with this guys family. He stayed there for two years. When Terry went to college, he stayed in touch with this friend. During the twenty five years we lived away from our home town, my husband stayed in touch. When we got back, he got back in touch with this friend. When he saw me, he started to cry. He hadn't made an effort to call Terry or visit him during the two years he battled ALS. He kept meaning to do it, but something always came up. He was worried I would be angry. My thought was that Terry was never mad about it, why should I be? We all make mistakes, think we have more time. Besides, Terry's friend was beating himself up enough. I would never have added to his guilt. The greatest thing that this friend can do to honor Terry is to never let it happen again. Make the phone call, go visit, relieve the caregiver. You can do that in memory of your friend.

i am so sorry about the loss of your friend. Praying for family and friends...

sorry for the loss of your friend. But if nothing else, this disease teaches you that time is precious and to treat people with love and kindness because we never know what tomorrow will bring.

Jack,

So sorry for the loss of your friend. A very valuable lesson to be learned. Never put off til tomorrow......My mother kept saying she would stop over (they lived next door from each other) and visit my aunt, her sister in law. Always tomorrow. She had a heart attack and my mom had to say good bye after they turned off the vent. Tomorrow came too soon. Like Missy said, things happen, but learning from it is the important part.

My prayers to you and his family,

Kimberly

sorry for your loss. thank you for posting

So sorry! And, thank you for sharing! Yes, you learned a huge lesson. I only wish I knew how to relay this message to "some" of my husband's family before it is too late. On the other hand, we have a huge support from friends and family beyond anything I could have imagined. We all have lessons in life to learn. Learn from your experience and you can give to others in your life in their time of need. God Bless!

So sorry for the loss of your dear friend. ((HUGS))

So sorry for your loss of a friend. Xoxo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back