Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
St. Catharines
A B.C. woman who took Canada's assisted-suicide laws to the province's Supreme Court has died of a severe infection, according to B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

Gloria Taylor, who had ALS, won the legal right in June to have a doctor help her die when she was ready.

According to a release from the civil liberties group, that helped her with her case, Taylor's death was unexpected. She was 64.

"Due to the acute nature and brief course of her illness from the infection, Gloria did not need to seek the assistance of a physician to end her life," the release from the group reads.

"In the end, Gloria's death was quick and peaceful and she was spared from the prolonged death from ALS that she dreaded and which inspired her participation in the lawsuit."

She died in hospital surrounded by friends and family.

In August, the federal government appealed the B.C. Supreme Court decision and an appeal hearing is scheduled for March 2013.

While Talyor was the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit, the civil liberties group said it will continue the case with the remaining individual plaintiffs.

"The BCCLA will continue with the lawsuit, fighting to protect Gloria's victory against government appeals," the group's litigation director Grace Pastine said in a release. "Gloria lit the torch, now we will carry it. This case is her legacy."

Thank you Gloria for fighting for our civil rights.

Rest in peace Gloria.

I have the greatest of respect for Gloria. 20 years ago when my mother was dying with ALS, Dr. Kavorkian was big in the U.S. in the controversial suicide assist. My mother wanted him to help her and we honestly wished we could contact him on days during those dark years. He assisted lots of ALS people in their quest to suicide and was actually quite popular although he was considered a criminal!

Off to moderation land about Dr. Kavorkian's actions in the U.S.

that is sad news hope her fight wins to help many others

Very sad news. Lots of media reporting about her death over the last two days. They say she died of a perforated bowel which led to the systemic infection which took her life. Lots of reasons for perforation, but it sure makes the point that one has to stay on top of any abdominal pain and the importance of a good bowel regimen i.e. good hydration and monitoring bowel movements and using appropriate laxatives as needed. May God Bless her and welcome her into His arms.
Laurel

So sorry for your loss, Canada. A remarkable woman.

Wow, very sad, RIP Gloria.

Gloria was a fighter for all of us. Thank you Gloria. Rest in peace.xoxo

Thank you Gloria. Rest in peace.

Indeed, a remarkable woman; my condolences to all those who loved her, and all those she inspired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back