Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
When I first came to this forum, Al was a constant presence, he was an active contributor even when it got down to typing with just one finger. I really did think of him as being bulletproof, and realized that many of his more memorable posts were before most of our current membership had joined.

Beyond being incredibly saddened by his passing, I also hate that so many who knew him well had already left us.

I hope that this thread will not get bogged down in sadness, but rather be a tribute to the wonderful Al we knew, he was one in a million and can never be replaced.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/people-als-pals/1061-als-tips-full-contact-lawn-mowing-5.html

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/general-discussion-about-als-mnd/3812-had-enough-2.html

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/general-discussion-about-als-mnd/1676-grampal-2-no-3-coming.html

Last edited:
Thank you Rose... "LIKE"

Thank you, Rose! Love the lawnmower story! Hilarious! I never got to know the Al that was able to post all the time... I get the feeling I missed out on something really great in those days. However, I've always admired him. We have some big shoes to fill around here!

Thanks, Rose. It was good to go back and read some of Al's longer posts. I love his attitude and the positive vision he had for this forum.

Rose, you made my day. Thanks for doing this research and sharing some the entertaining and precious posts of Al's. You picked some perfect examples of our hero.

Rose, you are wonderful.

A perfect tribute to a wonderful man.

When I first joined, it was obvious who "the Boss" was around here. (I did read many of his older posts- wanted to get to know the Boss!) I never read a post where Al complained about his situation.
Al was here almost everyday. His posts weren't long; offered condolences to families who lost a loved one, encouragemnet to anyone having a bad day, welcoming all new members, and giving support with answers to anxious questions.

He was like a wise parent: staying out of sight and listening to the kids in the next room.
Letting them work out their differences if a squabble happened, but ready to jump in if things got out of hand- reminding them to be nice & share. And always, fiercely protective of his "children" against any outside harm or danger.

Favorite "Al-isms": ".... play nice or I'll kick you out of the sandbox"; "....somebody piss in your corn flakes today?"; and "...are we having fun yet?":wink:

The Lawn Mower thread is a classic; it has been recalled many times through the years; I suspect just the mention of it put a smile on the faces of GrampAl & Cap't. Al, if not a full big belly laugh!:lol:

Beautiful Rose! Thank you 4 doing this (typing 1 finger myself ;-) Tnx! Al was the best!

I will really miss Al...he and I never talked alot..but we did share some PMs on a few occasions and he was always funny and very kind to me...I was very sad to hear of his passing...Prayers to his family and loved ones...R.I.P dear Al..

Robynn LeAnne:smile:

Al always made me feel welcomed and he never threatened to close down PZ Labs, Inc.

Thanks Rose, for posting some of Al's best!

I have it on good authority that both Shirly I. Jest and Con U. Knot appreciated that. Thanks Rose, great job with this.

It always impressed me that Al took the time to reassure those who didn't have symptoms that pointed toward ALS—Can you imagine how many worried posters he read over the years? That he would respond over and over to the same type of concerns showed such care for others—AND— for most of his years on this forum, he read each and every post that was written on every single one of our collective forums. He also took the time to post his condolences for each new loss for the forum, he never missed even one that I know of.

We emailed regularly, and he would forward on emails that had humor that really couldn't be posted on the forum, emails having to do with aviation, incredible absolutely breathtaking photos of nature, and emails about dogs. Al loved his dogs, and enjoyed subject matter pertaining to them. I was just now scrolling through some of the emails that I'd saved from him, and of the "dog" ones, the following is "Top Dog" in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=EVwlMVYqMu4&vq=medium#t=125

"like"

"like"

"like"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back