Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
Mississippi
City
Meridian
On November6, 2011 at 8:30am my husband of 32 years passed away of End Stage ALS. He was diagnosed February 1, 2011 so everything that happened has been a blur. Last November he came home from playing golf and jokingly said that he thought that he had played his last game of golf because he seemed to be getting arthritis in his left hand. It was his last game but unfortunately it was ALS not arthritis. From February until he ended up in a residential hospice in late October it seemed that every day he lost some ability. How have others dealt with the devastation and heartache of losing their lover, the father of their child and their best friend? Any suggestions and help would be appreciated because right now I'm just lost and grief stricken and see no light at the end of this tunnel. Your responses will really help me.

I'm So sorry Lillian! My husband has ALS and he was diagnosed in May of this year, however he probably had it at least a year before he was diagnosed. This horrible monster robs! I will be in your shoes someday and I wish I knew how to stop your pain, our pain, my husband's pain! My advice anti-depressants do wonders. It has been a heaven sent for us! And, pray! You are in my prayers! God Bless!

Thank you for your prayers. Many are needed.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

So very sorry, your husband had such a short time after diagnosed. I pray for you to find some peace..

I can only imagine you pain, although I know one day I will live it myself. Almost 30 years ago I married my very best friend. She is in her 5th year of fighting this horrible monster, ALS and it cuts deep to see what it has taken from her. I count every day with her as the greatest blessing of my life. I am so very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jim

Lillian,

I'm very sorry you lost your husband to ALS. I want to thank you for all you did for him during his illness. You made a huge difference in his day with all of your loving care.

You really didn't have very much time to adjust to much due to the rapid progression of your husband's disease. I can see how all of this has been quite a shock. I hope you are able to surround yourself with friends and loved ones as you mourn.

Blessings on you.

Kim

Lillian,
I am so sorry for your loss. So much so fast is not fair. I Pray for Peace and Comfort for you and your family at this difficult time.

Sorry for your loss Lillian.

AL.

Lillian,
Though you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel now, know that when you round this bend in the road you and your child will see it.
Much sorrow for your loss and prayers for comfort to your family.
Jeff

Lillian I am very sorry for your loss, talking about it here may ease the pain, I am not sure anything will help. I often wonder is it more courageous to fight this monster to the bitter end watching my wife suffer through it on the other side, or to end it early and release her from the pain. But then I realize that every minute however small it may be that I get to spend with her is a blessing. I am sure husband too cherished you and appreciated your sacrifice as his care taker. My prayers are with you and your family and everyone else dealing with this horrible disease.

I am sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Dana

Lillian, my husband earned his wing in June. Can't lie to you some days are just bad, bad, bad. I find comfort from one our last conversation we had just days before he died.

We were not golfers, but loved to hunt and fish together. When he died he could not move his body, he could talk a little and eat only milkshakes. He was in a wheelchair for 5 1/2 years. As I saw him getting tired I told him that when he got his angle wings he would be able to run, jump, fish and hunt. As forcefully a he could muster he said " Then get my tennis shoes" He was ready.

I find thinking of him free to be a comfort, we aways had lived life to the fullest. It was so very hard to watch him lose so much. I know he is with me, I feel a duty to live as best I can for him. He was cheated in his time on earth, my job is to double dip, try to enjoy each sunrise for two. Some times with tears, sometime with a small smile as I can almost hear him say as the sun rises " Its beauuuuuutiful and I bet the fish are a bittin"

I keep his old tired tennis shoes under the coffee table to remind me he is kicking butt at God's fishing hole. Grab a putter, look afar, your sweetheart shot under par. Sherri

I am very sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lillian, I'm so sorry for your loss and that it came about so quickly. You might try some counseling and possibly some short term medication to help you through this difficult period. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family over the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back