Diagnosis
10/2005
Country
US
State
MI
City
Lowell
You may not know me, but I know you. I have been reading your post for years. Now that I have time I would like you to know something about my husband. He was the love of my life, best friend, fishing and hunting partner, my everthing.

He was born 7-20-1951, DX 10-25-5005, earned his wings 6-7-2011.

Three mths have passed, my memories are now mostly of the first 25 years the last 6 years as his ALS progressed have been taken over by happier memories. That is part of the problem, now I only miss him. When he first died and I knew he was so tired it was easier to let him go. We held his memorial in a park on what would have been his 60th birthday. Below is most of what I said at the memorial, maybe it will help you find peace. I am praying that it will help me.

What is meant to be, will be. I am so pround of the grace John showed in life, his legacy to all, when faced with adversity the measure of a person is the grace in which you handle it. In his darkest hour he faced things we can only imagine with his usual sense of humor.
As his time was growing short, we talked about wedding rings have no beginning or end. They are forever like our love. I told him when he got his angel wings he could run, jump, fish, and hunt. With his usual smirky smile he as forcefully as he could muster said "then get my tennis shoes" He was ready.
32 1/2 years ago 2 hearts began to beat as 1. There was no I, only we. in the moment that John earned his wings 1 heart had to beat for 2. That heart my heart was filled with 2 of the most conflicting emotions, half was breaking and the other half soared with freedom, and what remains 1 heart filled with love and peace and a desire to make him proud.
What is meant to be, will be. I recieved a small statue when I has 5, a red haired boy and a yorkie dog. John had reddish hair and Samson is half yorkie. The first song we danced to at our wedding was David Allen Coe "Would you lay with me"

would you lay with me in afield of stone if my needs were strong would you lay with me
should my lips grow dry would you wet them dear in the midnight hour... wipe the blood away from my dieing hand if I give myself to you .....will you love me when i am down and out in my time of trial will you stand by me....

( find this song get a hankie and play it, all PALS and CALS will relate)

I played the CD, while mouthing the words and crying. The song that follows on my CD is "take this job and shove it" So fitting, so John it made me smile thru my tears.

Rejoice in his freedom, let his grace guide you, and hold him in your heart forever.

Thank you for coming, please join me in a toast of Jack Daniels to my best friend, my sweet Johnny.

now I am crying to hard to type, love ya baby, till we meet again

Penny1 ( penny for your thoughts) AKA Sherri Kolenbrander

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can feel your sadness Dear. Next time I drink some Jack I'll toast LJ for sure. May God grant you peace.
BIG HUGS

Thanks for sharing that, Sherri. So very sorry he left you, but he does have his wings! I'll raise my glass, too!

I'll keep my post short and sweet as I've got tears in my eyes! What an amazing tribute to someone who was obviously the love of your life and soulmate. I'm not a Jack drinker but I'll raise a toast to you with my next glass of wine! I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that time gives you peace and the ability to fondly and joyfully reflect on the memories of an amazing lifetime you and your precious husband spent together. Hugs being sent your way!

Ruth

So sorry for your loss, rejoice that he is free, and crying for you both... your letter is beautiful
Helen

What a beautiful love you both shared, my deepest condolances xx Ang

I will have a drink of Jack and listen to Take this job and shove as a toast for your husband.

Dana

Sherri, Do you mind if I toast with a margarita? It is comforting to know that the good memories push the exhaustion and challenges of caregiving out of the picture. (We aren't to the really hard stuff yet, but from reading the forum, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.)

I am sorry for the loss of your dear husband.

So very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute you have written. That kind of love and a strong marriage is such a gift. Find peace in knowing he has his wings.
Blessings,
Linda

Sorry for your loss.

AL.

Very touching... such a display of courage. So fitting for the forum. Thank you for sharing your love with us. Come back often to share with us CALS and PALS. God's love abounds here.
Kaye :eek:)

Sherri....wonderful tribute. The love that you two shared sounds like the kind of love I shared with Bob. It's been three weeks today that he passed but mostly I've thought of all our good times together - all 31 years of them. I'm sad for your loss. Love to you and yours. Yasmin

Sherri, that was such a wonderful tribute to such a loving man. Might I say I envy what the two of you shared , the deep love that transcends all. I pray for Peace and Comfort and am so sorry for your loss. I shall join you in your salute to LJ as I listen to David Allen Coe, "Will you lie with me", (one of my favorites also). You are so brave I also salute you as a wonderful, caring and loving wife. ((HUGS))

thank you everyone for your kind words. This week in the comic pages there was a quote from Helen Keller " life is either a daring adventure or nothing" This struck a cord for me. John and I always considered life an adventure whether traveling across country or clearing brush in the yard. I guess it is time for some daring adventures for me. Todays adventure changing the oil and filter in the riding lawn mower. The plan, not needing any bandaids. Wish me luck.
penny1 (penny for your thoughts) Sherri

Dear Sherri,
What a beautiful, moving tribute. I've just listened to "Will You Lay With Me", and of course am teary eyed. It's wonderful that your good memories are back, and I pray your life ahead holds much joy as well as adventure. John and you were blessed to have had such a love.
Hugs,
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back