04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Joseph Terry McGowan

Welcome Everyone. I am David McGowan, one of Terry’s brothers. On behalf of Missy and the entire McGowan family, thank you so much for being here today.

Let me begin by suggesting to you that this is NOT a somber occasion. Rather this is the time – the moment – to remember and celebrate the life of Terry McGowan and the incredible impact he made on our lives

I want to take a few moments to share some insight on Terry, his life, and the man that he was.

First a brief history. Terry was born and raised in Memphis. He grew up with parents Sam and Bettie, older sister Susan, twin brother Tim, younger brothers Greg and myself. Terry was always extremely competitive and a great athlete excelling in baseball and football, sports he played through highschool at Wooddale. Terry was ever popular and ALWAYS a leader – captain of his sports teams, student council president, you name it.

He competed for and won a full Air Force ROTC academic college scholarship and chose, for reasons which to this day remain a mystery, to attend the University of Tennessee. (JK). After 4 life changing years at UT, Terry entered the Air Force as a 2Lt where he excelled as an Aircraft Maintenance officer for trainer jets and fighter jets serving at AF Bases in IL, NM, and GA. At the conclusion of his military commitment Terry landed the absolute DREAM Job: based in Heidleberg Germany he travelled throughout Europe and Asia entertaining people and marketing and distributing wine for Gallo to US military facilitites. Let me say that again . . . a single man, with an expense account, travelling Europe, hawking wine. During that time he met and married Missy Earp and after several years of living the high life in Germany and international travel, Terry and Missy returned to the US. They lived in Dallas where their children Maggie and Daniel were born. Then moved to California and eventually found their way back home to Memphis several years ago.

Terry was Passionate.

He was a fierce and passionate friend. If you were Terry’s friend you were a friend for Life. For many of you here perhaps, he may have been among your oldest friends. Many of you know each other now because Terry brought you together in his circle of friends. To this day Terry maintained strong and lifelong friendships with folks from the Village, Wooddale, UT, the Air Force, Germany, Dallas, California, the larger Memphis community and who knows where else. He was such an engaging person. When he talked to you he made you feel like you were the only person in the room. He had such a wonderful dimpled smile and happy demeanor , it made you want to be around him. If you saw his name pop up on your phone, that was a call you took because you knew there was good news or a funny story coming.

Terry was passionate about his beloved Tennessee Vols. His time spent and UT was lifechanging for him. From the Orange golf bag to the Big Orange shirts. This was the time of year – late summer/early fall that really got him excited. Another year of TN football games to travel to, meet up with friends and cheer on the vols. I will miss my annual phone call after the UT Vanderbilt game telling me how strong the Vols looked and how pathetic my Commodores played. I will also miss the annual phone call to my Florida Gator Wife, Michele, where Terry would humbly accept the typical defeat with grace and his characteristic laugh and charm. I will also miss all those dog toys and cleaning rags he sent me: you know . . . singing orange bears, orange Tshirts, towels, etc.

Terry was passionate about his family. He was endlessly proud of his wife Missy and children Maggie, and Daniel. He told me on Numerous occasions how Missy was the best thing that ever happened to him and how she held their family together. Every time we talked he told me about his kids. He was so proud of Maggie and her leadership and accomplishments through highschool and more recently was excited for her starting back to school at Rhodes. The last email I got from him was one in which he told me that Daniel had just received the rank of eagle scout and how proud he was of Daniel and how glad he was that he got to see it.

Terry Loved Life.

He loved living. He loved all of you. When he was around people he was in his element. Travel to the UT football games, playing golf, hosting get togethers, coming to your get togethers . . . . .these were all just avenues for him to do what he loved . . . be with you. Share experiences with you. I know each of you have special and wonderful memories of your experiences with Terry. How he made you laugh, how he made you feel special, etc. I think today is the day to think about those fun times and recall the jubilant Terry that we all know and love.

He loved to play golf

He loved his Swimming Pools

He loved Grilling

He loved the Who?

He loved the Air Force and this wonderful country

Missy, Maggie, Daniel:

In the past two years, you have put your lives on hold to care for your husband, your father, the man you loved. I think I speak for everyone here in this room when I say . . . thank you for your sacrifice and for your hard work in making his life full and happy.

Terry was an incredible brother, loving husband and father, a tremendous friend

Terry was a good man. We all will miss him.

Rest in peace my brother.

Beautiful and touching

So sorry for your loss.

Peace to your family

Excellent words for an excellent life.

I too, was a USAF aircraft maintenance officer, and was in Germany, possibly around the same time. That's where I met Kristine, during the 91 Gulf War.

Where was he located during/after the Gulf War 1990-91? Perhaps he, like my Krissy, contracted Gulf War ALS. (?)

goosebumps... big time. What an incredible man.

That was very beautiful.

Dana

Thank you for sharing. My prayers are with you all.

David,

Thank you for sharing the life of your brother, Terry. What a loss!

Kim

What a wonderful tribute. It made me wish I could have known him.

Touching, Thank you. My prayers are with you and your family.

He is blessed to have had you in his life. May God bless and comfort and protect you and Miss and all Terry's loved ones.

I'm in tears... thank you for sharing what a wonderful life this man of yours led. May you and your children find peace.

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that with us. I am very sorry for your loss.

Yup, ALS picks on the best of the best. I know that for sure after reading this tribute.

Terry also had a wonderful brother by all accounts, Thank you for sharing your love for your brother, peace to Missy, Maggie, Daniel and all of your family xx Ang

My prayers and sympathy to all of Terry's family. Thank you for sharing your heart as his brother and telling us about the man Missy has take such good care of.
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back