Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
I just received an email from whom I think may be one of Phil's sisters, that he passed away this morning.

I am stunned, and can't even process it yet! Phil always was so positive, and liked to even forget that he had ALS. I know he was not happy with his living arrangements, not because he did not love and enjoy being around his family, but rather because he found the loss of his independence to be hard to take. He never indicated he was slipping away. I thought he was staying away from the forum mainly due to his wish to think about other things than this horrible monster ALS. I just forwarded him a funny email that I received from Al yesterday. Its just not fair. I am heartbroken.

He had a great enduring faith in God, and I don't think he feared what was to come after this life.

Whether or not someone from his family will post here, I do not know. Here is a copy of what I received as an email:

It is with great sorrow that I want to let you know that Philip passed
away this morning. It appears that he died peacefully in his sleep,
and we are grateful for that. I will send out another email with
arrangements when they are made. Our thanks to his friends and email
friends who supported him during this terrible journey.
-Aubrey, Verlene, and Kathy Mays

Diane, I am also stunned, thinking it was time to check on his profile page. I'd read he was starting hospice, I believe--and figured he was busy with all the coming and going. Phil was such a dear, sweet man and will be missed. For his sake I'm glad he slipped away in his sleep.

Thank you for posting the news and the email, Diane. Big hugs.
Ann xoxo

Oh, that is just so damn awful. I'm at a loss for words and I soooo hate this disease. Phil was the originator of the term "Bulbarian" and I will miss him.

I'm feeling pretty alone right now, all my bulbar buddies are leaving :cry:

Thanks Diane. My condolences to his family and to all his friends here.

Barry

Diane,

Thank you for letting us know about Phil. He was such a gentleman. I had no idea he was in such a decline. My condolences go out to his family.

Kim

I am just hearbroken and shocked. I literally have no words.

I am stunned and feel so sad. I didn't know he was declining that quickly. His sense of humour and good spirits will be missed very much. I always looked forward to his posts.
Laurel

i have no words. i hate this disease. i always cry when someone dies. prayers to all.

Oh Diane, Thank you so much, you are always such a helpful and dear friend to all.
Phil was an amazing member. He was a great, helpful and kind person. I hate to read this, so sad, why does this disease have to take such good people? this is just so unjust. He had a deep Faith, for this I am glad.
And yes just like his avator...I will miss him..

Hate this beyond words... cannot stand to hear of the loss of another forum family member.

R.I.P. Phil a good and faithful servant. So sorry for his family.

So sad. ALS is not fair.

Rest in peace, dear friend. I feel fortunate to have you as a friend and grateful for your sound advice and humor when things could have been awful God Bless. Condolences to your family.

You will be missed Phil!

we lost so many here , i know what you are saying barry ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back