Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Whitehouse Station
My husband of almost 41 years, my high school sweetheart, my buddy, is sitting in the palm of His hand. Greg passed away peacefully with my and our daughter's hands holding on to his, and with his long time friend next to him. He has left a wonderful legacy of courage, honesty, integrity, humor, trust and industry. We were blessed with a granddaughter a month before Greg was diagnosed in November of 2009. Our youngest daughter who is in the foreign service, made it up here from Nicaragua four days before he passed, and the last thing that he tried to "mouth" was "congratulations" when she told us that she and her husband were expecting a baby in October. Our oldest daughter and her husband are expecting another child in July, so both girls told him that when he gets to heaven he's going to have his hands full watching over the three little munchkins - and that was the last time that he smiled.

My buddy managed to give me one last gift before he left. The hospice nurses told me that he probably wouldn't last through the night. So I cuddled up next to him and I was able to talk to him throughout the night. That one last night was just so precious to me. Our priest came to our home for one last visit on the following morning, and by the afternoon, Greg was ready to take his final journey. On some level, I feel as if I'm back to the beginning of the diagnosis - I just can't beleve that this has happened to us. What a courageous man he was to face this disease head-on - and what a courageous man he was to have me transfer him in the Hoyer lift! Facing this disease we did a lot together - we cried a lot, we laughed a lot, we prayed a lot, and we loved a lot, and in the end, I guess those are the things that mattered to us. I 'm sure that Greg traveed first class to heaven after living with ALS.

"Love bears all, believes all, hopes all and endures all. Love never fails." Corinthians 13

God bless Greg's soul, and God bless all of you.
Love,
Claire

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your girls. I'm thankful for you all that Greg's passing was peaceful.

Sweet Claire: So sorry for the loss of your husband. I remember your posts about your trips you took. Peace and blessings to you and your loved ones. HUGS Lori

Claire, Your description of Greg's last days is so touching - your abundant devotion to him is expressed so well. I love the part where you said he was courageous to let you move him with the Hoyer lift!

My condolences for your loss, and prayers for your comfort and peace. Blessings, Jo

Claire, you and your children have my deepest sympathy. I pray for your peace now, and am so glad Greg was surrounded by you and such loved ones at the end.

So sorry Claire, but it sounded really peaceful. Take care of all them babies that are coming.

My utmost sympathy to you and your family in the passing of your husband. I will keep you in my prayers.
Thank you for talking about his final days.. As someone with ALS I have a lot of anxiety about how the end will be. I would feel very blessed if I could go peacefully and as loved as your husband was.
Take care.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
Love and light
Meg

Claire -
Your words bring back the final moments of Dad's time with us here on Earth. They were some of the most precious moments of my life and I will cherish them always. I have to believe that Greg's bravery as well as your and the rest of us brought together here will be rewarded.

When we were visited by many friends and family over the days following Dad's passing. Mom and I had to assure many of them that "we're going to be ok." One friend said, "I hope so," and my response was, "it's not an option... my Dad would have expected nothing less." And I'm sure that Greg expects nothing less of you and your girls. Though you may need to dig deep in the next few days, weeks, months, and years... you will find the strength to be ok - I know it!

My heart and thoughts go out to you.

Jennifer

So sorry for your loss of greg. God bless you & your girls.
Sharon

Claire, my sincere condolences to you and to all of your family.

So sorry for your losss. I know that your memories of Greg will keep him alive in all your hearts forever!

I'm very sorry for your loss, Claire. I'm glad your family could all be there with him on his final day.

Dear Clare,
Please know that you and your family are in my prayers as you deal with the loss of your loving Greg.
blessings, Pat

My deepest sympathy on your loss Claire. What a beautiful tribute you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back