Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Nevada
City
Henderson
My dear father, Valentine Michael Kolar, 82, passed away peacefully March 29, 2011 from the monstrous disease ALS. My dad was diagnosed last August, 2010, with what turned out to be rapid-limb onset ALS. ( He would say to me, "I can't believe this, a year ago I was on the roof of my house making repairs!"). It took him very quickly. He didn't want a vent nor did he want a feeding tube. He was completely bed bound by February and completely miserable until Hospice stepped in the last 6 weeks. (I cannot say enough about Nathan Adelson Hospice and how profoundly wonderful they are!)

After everything I've read about the respiratory system shutting down for most ALS patients, this was not what took him; his breathing stayed strong until the end. About 3 weeks ago he started refusing food. Said he wasn't hungry. He had an awful time swallowing for a few weeks before that. He would sip water and milk until he was too weak to sip and we would pull the liquid up through a straw for him.

In the end, he seemed to be completely at peace and was unconscious for about five days before he passed. During that time we would sit with him, talk to him, hold his hand, play Frank Sinatra CD's for him and swab his lips with those pink swabs.

My dad was such a good, kind man, always trying to do the right thing. One of the last things he asked me was to make sure I took care of his taxes for tax year 2010! My teenage children are devastated by the loss of their grandpa--they became very close with him as we took care of him in our home for 8 months until he passed.
He is with the angels now, no more suffering.

As a side note,
My dad was a veteran of the Korean War and the more I read about it, it seems that there is a definite link between ALS and military service. For those who don't know, ALS is now deemed an automatic "service related disability" through the VA for those who were in the military at least 90 days and who are diagnosed with ALS.

God Bless those who are suffering with this horrible disease, their families and caregivers!
I hope and pray for a cure!
Take care of each other,
Laura Andersen

so sorry for your lose, I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU TO YOUR FATHER FOR HIS SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY. MY you soon find comfort in you and you familys life

Laura, It is wonderful that you were able to care for your dad in your home. Your children and your dad benefitted from the experience: the love they were able to share; and the life lessons, even though extremely difficult, are valuable in the kids' lives. I'm sure he had lots of stories to tell before he became too ill.... Grandpas usually like to talk about the "old days"!

ALS is a horrible disease, and I am sorry you have had to deal with it. My sympathies to you and your family.

Peace and blessings,
Jo

Laura, Bless you for the love and care you showed your father. I pray the Lord's comfort for you all.

Laura, blessings of peace and strength to you and your family during this time. My hat is off to your father for his service to our country. He and your family are appreciated and loved from coast to coast.
Love and light
Meg

Laura,

My deepest sympathies at the loss of your dad and your children's grandpa. I hope that in time, they will see the blessing and gift they were to him in his care and quality of life.

I am so glad he didn't suffer the downward progression of his respiratory system and found the quality care he deserved.

may you find comfort in the love you shared and the memories you will hold forever.

Laura, my deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family. Your father was blessed to be cared for by you! I'm so glad his end was peaceful. Hugs,
Ann

Sorry for your loss Laura.

AL.

I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure that your Father did ride Eagles Wings into Heaven. Please accept my condolences and prayers.

Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your beloved Dad, and God Bless you and family for caring for him.
Pat

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes I think it's harder on the loved ones than the pals. Thank you for sharing your fathers story. Thanks to him for the freedoms we enjoy every day sick or not. Bless you and yours

Laura, thanks for letting us know about your father. I'm very sorry you lost him.

I am so sorry for your loss, Laura. My husband is also a veteran.

Laura, I'm so sorry for your loss of your dad.

God bless you and yours. My prayers are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back