Reason
CALS
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Abbotsford
Sorry for the delay, I (Josh, son-in-law) know how much dad has meant to everyone. I have been trying to post for a few days now. I am using moms account.

Thanks to Jesus, ALS and death itself have been conquered. On Feb 23 dad went to be with his Lord and Savior. He had complete peace about his decision and his big grin was seen by the hospital staff. He shrugged off the small delays and inconveniences and eagerly awaited his final journey to his glorified body. His lifelong soul mate Christine was by his side to the very end, to the beginning.

His children all came to spend time with him in his final days here and it was very difficult to say goodbye. We all knew it was "see you later" but we miss him deeply.

I wanted to say thank you so much for all the love, support and prayers dad received from everyone here. One of the main ways dad showed his love was through the work of his hands and serving others. From making toys for his children to the wee hours of the morning to fixing, installing, programming or helping in innumerable ways. He was the most skilled man I have ever known. ALS tried to take that away from him. Dad would not let it. His website is a labor of love and thanks to this forum he has been able to serve and love each of you.

I can't say it enough, Thank you. Dad has never felt more love from others than in the last few years. He has collected love everywhere he went but one of the silver linings of this disease is the intensity and honest communication of that love. Thank you.

We love you Joel and will miss you in so many ways. My deepest condolences to Christine and all of his family.

So sad but smiling for Joel, my buddy.

Barry

Thank you so much for the post. Al and I just spent time remmebering what an amazing man Joel was. We both commented on the HOPE he has given, and will give so many. His friendship was a gift to the forum, one that was unique, special, and invaluable. When I think of him, It will always be with admiration, respect, and a true humbleness from knowing some like him. I will miss him immensely. I have not went a day in years without knowing he was here. I value his love for Religion, and although I do not have a strong religious Faith, felt safe in his light. I hope that your family will take all that he has given, and flurish in him. We are all better to have had him as a friend on this forum...

Josh. I don't know what to say. I'm crying as I read your post. Sad for your great loss. How can you not miss such a gift. Joel was- is an inspiration and such a help to so many. I'm also glad for Joel that he is home, that Christine & he were together at the end, and that he went out with such a smile. My condolences to you and to all of the family. Avril

I talked to Christine today and learned the news that I had been dreading for some time. I knew it was what Joel wanted but didn't want to lose another friend. I try to believe he is in a better place but my faith is not as strong as his. We will all miss him. Christine has said she will leave his blog up so that even though he is gone, he will still be helping others. Rest in peace my friend.

AL.

thanks joel for all you tought us i will miss you

Thank you for making this post, Josh. Even though I never met your father-in-law in person, he was a valued mentor to me in learning to live with ALS and not just simply to survive with it. Please convey the sympathies of my family to your wife, her mother, and the rest of Joel's family.

I will miss him very much.

I am so saddened by this............heartbroken...the disease that just keeps taking. Joel...you are a wonderful...wonderful man...and you will never be forgotten by your ALS forum family.

I am so saddened to read this! I can't believe he's gone. Despite his illness, the persona Joel projected was one of such strength. His spirit and determination touched a multitude of lives. I will miss him greatly.

I hope it is OK to post here, as I am not a PALS, but visited this forum and received sound advice from Joel. I also read many of his other posts and know that he was an incredibly valued member of this forum, one of its leaders, and like a father figure and role model to so many. What an incredible human being with an enormous spirit, strength, faith, and will to live. My condolences to his family and friends.

Sandra

I had a feeling since Wed. that Joel was gone, I think I felt that his life on Earth was over. In fact he was gone. I have felt a sense of loss since that moment. I know he wanted to go, and I know his Faith was amazing, so for this I know his Spirit will always be with the forum. I am so saddened though, just feel like the sun is out of our sky. I know I should rejoice for him, but I am being so selfish, that I am crying for all of us who have lost him. He was part of the family of this forum, gosh I am just so sad.. I miss him...

I am so sorry for your loss, I thought I had prepared myself for my husbands death. I have since found out that there is no preparation for the emptiness you feel inside. I rejoice in knowing that Joel and my Eddie are now friends in Heaven. Please know that you and your family are in my prayers. Go with God and have comfort in knowing that He is the Light in our lives.

Christine, Josh and family,
I am sorry for the sorrow of Joel's passing. We all at the forum will miss him also. I am sure he is thankful to be healed completely by our great God. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Thank you, Josh, for telling us in such kindness and depth how you knew Joel as a family member. It is a very special post, giving us even the information about his smile at the end. This is sad news for us, but as you point out, Joel is with the Lord and is now free of suffering and all the constraints of this disease. He is already missed here, and will be loved and remembered on this forum for as long as that blog or any of us remain... Even then, his posts will be here and others will learn from him.

You and all of your family have my deepest sympathy and prayers as you grieve. When there's separation there is still grief, even with the promise of being together again one day.

Ann

Josh thanks for letting the forum know. I am really going to miss him as he was such a fine gentle man. I stopped dreaming about him two days ago--so I felt his spirit had gone. Weird how we sort of intuitively know when a special light like Joel has gone out. Goodbye dear Joel.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back