Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Manitoba
City
Winnipeg
I lost the love of my life, my precious darling husband passed away on Friday August 13, 2010. 12:32 in the aft. He was diagnosed with ALS on Feb 1, 2008 just two weeks after his 55th. He lived 2 1/2years. His desire was to keep his voice till the end and die peacefully at home. He got both! I rejoice for him but I mourn for me! I will never be the same without him.

He chose to have a peg when needed, use his bipap and faithfully practiced his LVR. He never fought using new equipment to help him. He saw it as his friend even though it changed how he looked. I really believe his positive attitude, willingness to work with me as a team player added the 6 months to his life from what he was told he would have. He used a power wheelchair to the place where he no longer could control it. I would steer him all over.

Rick and I faced each new challenge together....we plotted our next move...how were we going to find a way to make it more easier...more comfortable for him...we did it as a team. We read and talked to different professionals to draw from their knowledge as each new challenge presented itself.

His breathing went from bad to worse within hours. He was so shocked as we thought he still had a few weeks to live. His biggest concern was that he remained brave till the end. With the help of palliative care nurse, meds and his loving family surrounding him he peacefully went to be with the Lord. He was with us one minute and in heaven the next.

Our journey with ALS from the beginning has been blogged by both Rick and myself at
Together Forever If in some way anything we have shared about this most painful journey can help any one in any way...we welcome you to visit us there.

Together Forever!

I am incredibly sorry about the loss of your husband. Please accept my condolances. God Bless!

Joan, please accept my most sincere condolences for your loss. I have been following your blog for many months and have taken great inspiration with the way that both you are Rick handled this horrible disease. You and Rick were among my very first friends here and I will always remember him. I have started giving a kick to all of my new equipment, it seems like such a good idea although it did puzzle my wife to see me do it the first time.

Thank you for all you did for Rick, and for all that you both have done for all of us in raising awareness of ALS.

Oh one of my favorite couples, so sorry.. I am truly saddened, you had such a special love. I really loved Rick's smile...

Words cannot express my sadness at your loss. Know he loves you as before and asks about you from glory. I am thankful his suffering is over.

Up early this am and so sad for your loss. Rick and you sound like a wonderful match created by our dear Lord. I have been reading your blog and Rick's blog...thank you so much for sharing so much of yourselves. My prayers are with you! Marie

so so so sorry. But so glad you were able to fight it together and love each other through it.
I wish you much strength for the time to come
Love
IRismarie

Thank you for sharing your lives with us. I am sorry for your loss.

Dana

Thinking of you everyday and wishing you strength to get through the next while. Know that you will be ok with your angel Rick looking out for you. I know he'll never be far from your side. Your love for each other will give you strength in the future.Missing his humor and smile too. (((((hugs))))) Colleen

so sorry for your loss, how lucky you were to find each other God bless x

Joan, I didn't know Rick here, but have been reading a lot of the blog you made together, which is so filled with your mutual love. I pray you will know comfort and peace in a very real way. God protect and bless you now, Ann.

I am so sorry to get this news. My deepest sympathies to you. I trust your wonderful memories of a rare relationship will sustain you.

John

Joan..my heart is broken for you....
Your love for Rick is a fine example of love...and a role model for all! You are both forever in my heart.
Kelly

So sorry to hear about Rick's passing. Deepest sympathies. D

thank you for your blog at this time in a very sad time in your life wishing you the best and so sorry for your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back