Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
NH
City
Atkinson
:sad:My wonderful Dad passed away early this morning 7/26/10. He developed a mild weakness in his hand after snowblowing in late Jan. 2010and it didn't improve. He was diagnosed w/ limb onset ALS mid March 2010. His progression was very rapid. He lost use of his left hand and arm, then right, then the legs got weak, then he needed help walking w/ one person, then two, then he was unable to be weight bearing. Then breathing became impaired. He couldn't tolerate CPAP/ Bipap and did not want a PEG or Vent. My Mom and I managed him at home almost to the end. Last Mon, he went to the ALS clinic and they were very concerned about the breathing. he was admitted for Bipap, which he couldn't tolerate and he started getting confused. After 2d, he was transferred to a nursing home fac since hospice house has no beds and my mom and I could not manage anymore physically, even w/ a hoyer. I had sacrament of the sick given on date of admission to nursing facility as I had a bad feeling this was 'it'. Glad I did. His mental status and respiratory status declined further last night and after a dose of Ativan and Morphine to ease his labored breathing so he could sleep, I went to sleep around 12:30am today in the bed next to him and when they came in at 4 am to check him, he was gone. I am so devastated. He did not want to linger on in his state, as it were, so it is a good thing in that regard, but what an emotional travesty! So traumatic on my Mom, Me and my 17 yo Daughter who was close to him and sufferred while I was away caring for Dad, not to mention my sister and her family out of state.

Dad loved all things outdoors and competed in horse and carriage driving, racing rowing shells, climbing mountains, xc skiing, swimming, kayaking, road bicycling, mountain biking, running to name just a few. He enjoyed and was very good at photography, all things computer, geneology & horseback riding. He was a kind, reserved gentleman to all who knew him. Godspeed & Peace, Dad. We loved you more than any words could ever express. Another one of the good ones has left us, Dad, Grandad, Husband, Cousin, friend, PAL. 11/1/36-7/26/10. Peace. Heather (daughter)

Thank you to ALS MA chapter, UUCR, Woodbury High & UNH friends of Dad, Cathy & Kim from Middlesex VNA, Rev Tim, UU Men's group, Alicare and all other family & friends. Your support and love helped sustain us all! God bless each of you.

I am very sorry. My condolences for your loss.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your father, Heather. Thinking of you.
Dana

So sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.God Bless your family.
Sharon

Sorry for the loss of your dad Heather.

AL.

I am sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dana

So sorry for your loss, prayers for you all x

Heather, my sincere condolences to you and your family.

Heather, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your dad.

Heather, I am so sorry for the loss of your father.

Heather, my heart goes out to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your father sounds like such a dear man.

Thank you Heather, for posting. You are helping me even now after your dad's death. My friend was diagnosed in May with ALS and the symptoms are progressing rapidly (like your dad's). He is very frustrated and angry at this disease and wants it to end. I will tell him that your Dad went very quickly. It will calm him as he is already on Morphine and Ativan for the breathing. He couldn't tolerate the Bi-Pap. Imobile at this time

I am so sorry for the loss of your father. I pray the lord will bless and comfort you at this time. Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back