Diagnosis
8/2009
Country
US
State
LA
City
Baton Rouge
My dad peacefully passed away April 9th after a 7 month battle. We feel fortunate that he did not suffer with the respiratory issues for more than 1 1/2 days. Once his breathing became labored (no trach or vent), we began administering the morphine and he remained comfortable. My mother, sisters and I were all at his bedside and got to say everything we wanted to say. Terribly sad, but we are glad that it is over for him. My mom said that ALS always wins, and she's right when you think about it. With another diagnosis, there may be a fighting chance, but not with ALS. Sadly, my grandfather (mother's dad) passed away exactly 3 weeks prior to my dad. So, my family has had tremendous loss to deal with. We plan to still stay active with the local ALS chapter, and want to do ANYTHING we can to help others afflicted and raise money for research. My prayers go out to all of you still fighting....thanks for your support regarding some of my previous posts.

So sorry. Good you want to help. We will be here for you. Hugs Lori

You and your family have my deepest sympathy, both for the loss of your father and also of your grandfather. Thank you for telling us about the brevity of your father's breathing trouble, and God bless you and comfort you all.

So very sorry for your loss. Praying that God gives you strength and peace during this difficult time

So sorry to hear about what has happened in your family,my heart goes out to all, God Bless .Keep talking about your Dad & Grandfather it keeps your memories alive.
Sharon

I am very sorry for your loss.. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family at this time.. Linda

so so so sorry for the sadness your family is having. Much love to you all

Very sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace...

Your Momma is correct and that is just soul tragic. I am so sorry for the losses that you have had. Your Daddy was so fortunate to have so much love, support and comfort on his journey. hugs, Kay Marie

So sorry for your loss.

AL.

I am so sorry for your loss, please accept my condolences. It is good that you were all there at the end and were able to say what you needed to say.

I am so very sorry for your loss. It is wonderful you and your family had an opportunity to be there for your dad in his final moments.

so sorry for the double loss -- but , thank you for the idea for another bumper stick that will be on my car when i get it in about 2 months it will read
why does a.l.s. always win
and a few others will say
a.l.s. is the grim-reapers evil twin

losing my loved one to a.l.s. . -- one piece at a time

80 years of a.l.s. has killed 4000,000 people

this is my way of getting the word out there ..in 2 months time i will be know as the a.l.s. car

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you and your family even though some weeks have passed, because I know you could surely still use a *hug*.

We had the same exact experience with my Dad just the week before yours when my dad too was administered Morphine for comfort and he lasted 1.5 days as well and succumbed to the disease on April 2nd just 7 months after his "official" Dx.

Each day is still different for me, sadness, hurt, anger and the latest emotion is that of regrets, which is by far the worst feeling to have. I still think about him 3-4 times a day everyday and wake each night to where my mind wanders to thoughts of Dad. I've heard it gets better with time, but right now I'm focusing on getting through each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back