Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Drayton Valley
Dad passed away in the early hours of December 30th. He fought a good fight but was ready to go home to the Lord. We were so blessed to have him as a father. Even as he battled this ugly disease, he cared about others. A week or so before Christmas he asked me (via talking machine) to make sure that mom had a great Christmas gift from him. He was able to give it to her himself. All of his kids, grandkids, great grandkids came home for Christmas. There were 31 people at my house for Christmas dinner and dad made sure to be there. He got to see everyone and everyone got to see him.
He dealt with this disease with dignity and grace. I admire his patience with those around him (especially his daughters) as he tried to make himself understood. It was almost like he was proud of us just for understanding him. We had many good laughs with him and we will miss him but he is in a better place. His faith stayed strong. He showed us how to live well even when it was very very hard.
We are all a little lost right now as this disease is all consumming but I know that we will be alright as Dad showed us - accept, deal and enjoy the small blessings in life.

Debbie, so sad about your Dad :] The love and the courage of this man shows through your post and it is reflected in you. hugs, Kay Marie

Debbie,
I know that you will all have treasured moments to hang on to and will gently, gradually make the transition. As you say, he is not with our Lord and he is now whole and at peace...

Prayers for peace to you and your family

Debbie, may your sweet Dad rest in peace. I know the feeling....I have been there dear. I know the peace you feel after they depart, because deep down you know they are no longer suffering. You hate to see them go, but there comes the time when our Father calls them Home. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.

Irma

Debbie, I am so saddened by the loss of your dad. It hits me especially hard because our dads have so much in common including this horrific beast called ALS. Please know that you are in my heart and my thoughts. If there is anything I can do please PM me. If you need to talk I am here.

I am relieved for your father that he is free from the fight and I am happy for you that he left such a legacy of pure love. He was truly the best a dad could be with his tremendous spirit and his immeasurable courage but I also know how much this must hurt right now and I share with you my deepest sympathies. Please extend my sentiments to your mom and the rest of your family.

Big hugs,
Rosella

Debbie,thank you for letting us know of your Dad's passing. I know it will take a while, but gradually you will remember a life before this terrible disease. Take care of yourself and give my sympathies to all of your family.
Colleen

Thank you all
This forum has been a life saver to me. I didn't post often but I was here almost everyday if only for a few minutes. The courage shown here is tremendous. The insights that I gained from those of you living with this awful disease was so helpful as it helped me to better understand what my dad was going through. You made me laugh, cry and also count my blessings. And now you are hurting with me. I am so thankful that I found all of you and I will continue to visit and maybe I can be the encourager to others as you have been to me. It is an ugly disease and we as a family will continue to help where we can. Maybe 2010 will bring a new treatment or maybe even a cure. All the best in 2010.

Debbie,
Your description of Christmas together was like a Norman Rockwell painting. I am happy you have those memories. From one daughter to another, I am so sorry for the loss of your father.
Dana

Debbie, I am so sorry for your loss. You sound like a wonderful caring daughter. May God bless and comfort you in the days to come. Linda

What a wonderful tribute to your dad! Sorry for your loss, may our Good comfort your heart during this time.

Debbie, I am very sad to hear about your dad but as you say, he is now free from this horrible disease. I wish that I could have met him and you at the last ALS walk but I hope that I will get to me see you this June. And please do stay here to help us, we need all the help we can get.

I am glad that he was able to see his family at Christmas and that everyone got to see him and make good family memories. I admire his courage as I know how hard it is to see puzzlement (and sometimes anguish) on the faces of people who are trying so hard to understand what I am saying.

Debbie,

Please accept condolences from my family to yours.

Your Dad is still in your heart. Cherish the good times you had.

Glen

Debbie,

Please accept my condolences, too. You penned a wonderful tribute and painted a marvelous picture of your father. Thank you!

Kim

Debbie;
My heart goes out to you. We are also dealing with the loss of my Mom last week. The only way to get through is by looking back at how courageous and graceful they were and try to accept their passing in the same way they have taught us to live.
I hope you are able to find comfort in the memories you hold and by the love of friends and family at this difficult time.
My sincere sympathies to you and your family.
Val

Debbie I am sorry for your loss,enjoy yor memorys and peace be with you and your family. Beverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back