Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: houston
State: tx
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
dclark is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: houston
State: tx
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
dclark is on a distinguished road
Default Symmetrical weakness with PMA?

Hi everyone, new poster here.

I have been suffering from weakness and neurological symptoms (tingling, twitching, buzzing sensations, etc) for over 7 years. I was originally diagnosed with CIDP and treated with IVIG and steroids, which slowed down the progression, but hasn't stopped or reversed it. I have not exhibited any upper motor neuron symptoms to this point, and no swallowing or breathing issues.

My current neurologist has suggested that if a new round of IVIG doesn't reverse things, then I might be looking at some form of "motor neuron disease".

I guess she is hinting at PMA. But, since my weakness has been very symmetric (proximal and distal), I wonder if PMA is really a possibility?

Has anyone with symmetrical weakness been diagnosed with PMA?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 04-07-2009, 10:06 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Anywhere
State: Western Canada
Interest: Other
laurel is on a very distinguished roadlaurel is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Anywhere
State: Western Canada
Interest: Other
laurel is on a very distinguished roadlaurel is on a very distinguished road

Hi Dave,
I don't know much about PMA but my husband did have one query of PMA in the beginning of being diagnosed with CIDP, but my husband has CIDP--MADSAM and has been treated monthly with 1G. per kilo of his weight for the last 18 months. Just wondering if you have had ongoing treatment or just intermittent? I have read of very few CIDP'ers who have actually gone into true remission. It seems most require ongoing treatment. And it seems that there are many who fail to respond to IVIG after a few months and some of those switch over to plasmapharesis. And there is also a group of CIDP'ers who actually become weaker with the steroids--depending on the variant they have. And then there are those that have had good success with their neuro's adding things like Cellcept to their medication regime. I am a little perplexed that your neurologist is considering a motor neuron disease since so many of your symptoms are sensory because sensory symptoms are not usual in motor neuron diseases. Could you explain what your history and treatment as been?
Laurel
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Mays Landing
State: NJ
Diagnosed: 02/2007
Interest: He is home with Jesus 6/22/09
hopingforthebest is on a distinguished road
Default Pma

My husband has PMA and there is a PMA support site on the forum. He has no use of arms, hands and neck is unable to support without brace. He also is on bipap 24/7
His legs are good and strong but supporting his upper body is difficult.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM #4 (permalink)

Default Ivig

Forgot to add that he tried for one year the IVIG to see if it would help and it did not
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Trussville
State: Al
Diagnosed: 12/2001
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another motor neuron disease.
little willie is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Trussville
State: Al
Diagnosed: 12/2001
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another motor neuron disease.
little willie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hey Dave

I too have experienced the weakness and muscle loss throughout my entire body. It has kind of been a mix of what is weaker and where (right arm stronger than left, left leg stronger than righ, etc.) but i continue to carry on. i don't walk much and when i do it is with a stroller around the house. i use a powerchair to get around the neighborhood and to church. Sometimes my wife will take me to Walmart or maybe if i am good she will take me to Homedepot or Lowes so i can dream. Thanks for your post. You are the first person that has what seems to be the same conditions as me. I was 48 when i got my first diagnosed in 2001.
I went through the gammut of diagnoses before going to ALS Clinic in Houston to Dr. Apel. He is the one who gave me the diagnosed of PMA. that was in 2004 so i have been being treated as such. i still use the supplement coctail that Dr. Apel gave me along with a couple of others to help with the neuropathy pain i suffer from. i would like to swap ideas with you some time if possible.
Look forward to talking again.

Bill
PS Has anyone heard anything on the tests for ACE 031 from Acceleron pharm?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Birmingham
State: England
Diagnosed: 06/2010
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
mally is on a distinguished road
City: Birmingham
State: England
Diagnosed: 06/2010
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
mally is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Symmetrical weakness with PMA?

Hi

I have the same thing too-the weakness and atrophy is distributed through many muscles in my body and is more or less symetrical. My strength varies through the day too-are you affected that way? My neurologist says says I have an A typical lower motor neuron disease. and that many muscles in my body are only 'slightly' affected. He says that this is not a normal presentation. I also have a high score for myasthenia gravis.

Mally
Closed Thread

Tags
breathing, breathing issues, diagnosed, ivig, motor neuron disease, motor neuron symptoms, neurologist, pma, progression, steroids, swallowing, symptoms, twitching, weakness