Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: sweden
State: sweden
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Goran is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Comparison with your history...

Hi everyone

I'm a 22-year old guy that lives in Sweden and I got in touch with this website today (well actually, I decided to post something on the forum today..).

The thing is that I've been having these, I would say, serious symptoms of what I fear could be PMA/ALS.

I've done one EMG/EMS test and it came back clean. Done MRI scans, clean aswell. Then you might ask why I'm writing this, well, since two years ago, I've had muscular atrophy in my left leg (the whole leg, from the foot to like, the hip) and just three months ago, I've also started to feel it in my left arm.

I've had fasciculations for two years now everywhere on my body, but the atrophy is right now in left leg and left arm.

The reason why I'm posting is because I'm very curious in how it started for you out there. I can say, that in the spring of 2005 (april), I started to feel strange in my left leg and at first I thought it was sciatica. But as time went on, and I actually didnt feel anything else but that "strange feeling" getting just a little worse over the years, two years ago I started to see the changes in the leg. Then, today, I can't do much. I can't run, I walk for short moments or it starts to ache everywhere in the leg. I was very active aswell but nowadays I "only" do the gym but I'm sure that I wont be able to do that either properly because of the arm.

I have some more tests in May this year, but I would really like to know how it started for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 AM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)
Default Re: Comparison with your history...

I would also like to add, that, it's still progressing as we speak. It's very easy to feel something like this going on in your body, despite having doctors and others saying that you're just imagining it. I mean, come on, you KNOW when you're not able to walk properly anymore or when your knee feels busted and "naked" because of the loss of muscles around it. You KNOW when the bottom of your foot feels thin because of the fat loss under it and that your foot has shrunken from one size to another. I just want to hear your stories aswell so that I have something to compare to, because my I start to wonder if my doctor found his license in a box of cereals.

best regards
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 AM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

One more thing to add, also, my right arm feels so much "thicker" when I do like a fist, I can feel the skin just hitting the bone when I do a chin-up in the gym or something, compared to my right arm which feels thick and strong. It's kind of obvious these things and I know that you know what I'm talking about.

br
Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 PM #4 (permalink)

City: wichita
State: ks
KANSASTOM is on a distinguished road
City: wichita
State: ks
KANSASTOM is on a distinguished road

It is time to get another emg, this will give you some direction. You are very young, have you looked into Monomelic Amyotrophy?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Raleigh
State: NC
Diagnosed: 07/2007
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
trfogey is on a very distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Raleigh
State: NC
Diagnosed: 07/2007
trfogey is on a very distinguished road

Actually, most of us probably don't know what you are talking about because nothing you have described points in any way toward either ALS or PMA. Another disorder, perhaps, but not ALS or PMA. Therefore, there is nothing in our histories that is relevant for comparison to your current situation, despite what your "research" and Dr. Google seem to be telling you.

A clean EMG rules out a diagnosis of either ALS or PMA because the lower motor neuron death characteristic of those two diseases shows up on an EMG and the EMG would not be called either normal or clean. In addition, if you had LMN death going on in your leg since 2005 and in your arm for two years, you would be much poorer condition than you are now-- probably unable to walk at all and certainly unable to do a chin-up.

Good luck to you in your search for a diagnosis. If you give your doctors a chance and stop trying to do their job for them by self-diagnosing on the Internet, I'm sure you'll get the right result.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 AM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Hi all

First I would like to thank you for your posts

I'm going to do this EMG now in May, then we will see what it brings up.. Until then I can wait, and I'll post here after that.

Best regards
Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 PM #7 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Al is on a distinguished road
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Al is on a distinguished road

Good luck Goran. I think you've got something going but it is most likely not ALS. Let the docs explore.

AL.
Closed Thread

Tags
ache, als, arm, atrophy, back, emg, fasciculations, fear, foot, hip, mri, pma, symptoms, test, tests, website