Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
UK
State
North Yorkshire
City
Hambleton
I have just found this forum and now no longer feel alone. Support here in the UK is great i have a nurse assigned to me and there are support groups for MND but i have not been able to find anything for PBP alone until now.

I was diagnosed last year and the first symptoms i had was increased salivation.
I still have and it is really debilitating i have tried several different medications to cut it down but with little success, has anyone managed to find something that gives relief.

Thanks

welcome....I am in London. Have you found build-uk though I think this forum is best. Salivation..I have tried patches, eye drops..search that one...they taste disgusting, and I tried something else put in my peg...sorry dont know the name, husband is my nurse and knows all the names. Nothing is very good for me and I often pewk as it makes the saliva too gluey. I have recently been given strong painkillers which has a side effect of drying saliva, but make me sleep too much, but I am sticking with that for now. It is the only way I sleep at night.Tramadol or Zydol prescription only.

Roger ... welcome to the club! I'm glad you found us.

I had been using the Scop patch, but it loses effectiveness after a while, so my neuro switched me to a pill called Methscopolamine Brom. 2.5 mg. I'm supposed to take it three times a day, but it works too well ... my mouth gets dry as sand ... so I take it twice. When it wears off, the saliva starts again, but the relief is great. Otherwise, I was walking around all day with my mouth stuffed with tissues!

Good luck.

Hi thanks for the info. i have tried patches and eye drops neither of which has helped. I have also been given amitriptyline hydrochloride which is disgusting stuff and i have had to stop using it. I have just had botox injections into the saliva glands but that does not seem to be doing anything yet so i might have to go the next step and have radiation treatment but i will ask about the Methscopolamine Bromide.

Why are you needing pain killers? at present i have no physical pain?

I take it you are referring to my pain Jennifer51. I had no pain for the first year, then my left arm started to go. The pain was dreadful, as if someoneone had stabbed my arm and was twiting the knife, if I moved my arm or anyone tried to move it. That has now stopped but I get pain in my hip and radiating down my leg. I cant move at all in bed now, other than moving the electric bed. Pain is bad in my hips, knnes and calves when I get up.

I am sorry about that but i get the impression that everyone is different and that no one really knows how it is going to progress so i wonder if i have that to look forward to.

Hmm I have fasciculations for at least 2,5 years and now increased salivation..after reading it was your first symptom I feel doomed. I am not sure what is considered as "increased" but I need to swallow more often and I feel I need to wipe out the corner of my mouth. I have just read PBP can have in addition LMN signs, that would fit my case :(

Roger try Antihistamins they tend to dry the mouth out. But is your in the sublingual glands ,under the tongue ? . Thats where mine is mostly .You have Lingual and subligual glands . lingual is above the tongue and sub is below the tongue. Either way Antihistamins work . Geo

I recently tried Methscopolamine Bromide 2.5 mg taken three times a day , half hour before meals. The generic name is Methscopolomine Bromide and the Brand name is Pamine.

My mother has taken it for 5 days now and it seems to be helping her. She has triend Botox and other stuff before and this is the first time she said something has worked. I hope it keeps working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back