Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
AUS
State
South Australia
City
Adelaide
As Ed s appointment looms on the 16th, I am so filled with dread as this appointment has been brought forward as he is not managing mainly his terrible depression.Ed now is ready to ask a lot of questions and feels he is ready to deal with the info he gets , then he changes his mind and wants to block it all out. I am sure many can identify with this !Any way , day by day and all that stuff, I guess.
I guess I am asking an impossible question, I just need a little advice re how to handle his initial re action as I fear it will be really traumatising. Cheers to all, Anastasia.:(

Hi Anastasia,
You might want to find a therapist that you could both go to before the visit. As my husband's caregiver, I go once a month to a therapist. It has been of great help to me. When we first got the diagnosis I was so overwhlemed and thought I needed to sell the house immediately. They are able to put things in perspective and help you live in the present along with making decisions to prepare for the future.

I hope that you get some good news on the 16th. Bev

I agree with Bev. I saw a therapist also - weekly for the first month. Know I have enough of a grasp on things I just go back as I need to. I also found a counselor who dealt with geriatric conditions (funny since he's only 36) d/t Jim's dementia. Though Jim never met with her she helped me take a grasp of how to deal with him. Jim is not depressed because of his lack of understanding - however, see your PCP. He prescribed me an anti-depressent that I take daily and Xanax to take as needed. I use it for those mental-breakdown moments. Since you know the worse case scenerio - hopefully you will be able to hear what the doctors say after "the diagnosis."

I used the pre-diagnosis to research ALS so I wasn't entirely lost when I heard ALS. I also brought my mom to his appointment for an extra set of ears. Between the two of us I feel that we picked up and retained more information through the visit. I also "prepped" her for the visit by sending her any information I had on ALS so the inital shock would be less.

Good luck on the 16th.
Rachelle

Thank you for your suggestions Shelley. It all helps. Thanks also for your best wishes for the 16th. I wish you guys well also.
Thank you all for caring and sharing.:sad:

Hi Anastasia,
You might want to find a therapist that you could both go to before the visit. As my husband's caregiver, I go once a month to a therapist. It has been of great help to me. When we first got the diagnosis I was so overwhlemed and thought I needed to sell the house immediately. They are able to put things in perspective and help you live in the present along with making decisions to prepare for the future.

I hope that you get some good news on the 16th. Bev

Thank you Bev. I wish you well on your journey also and have made two attempts to get to chat with a counsellor but each time some thing else has come up. Guess I need to prioritise and attend.Ed has been advised to seek help in this way also, but is set against it !
Will persevere. Cheers and thanks again.:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back