Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
AUS
State
South Australia
City
Adelaide
From a different perspective, I have held back from saying this to anyone ,but I am having real trouble dealing with the stange new odour our loved one has all the time and feel guilty for even mentioning it here online, His hygiene is good but he feels the cold terribly and is rugging up in warm clothes. The odour is not regular body odour but a strong salty smell. Has anyone had a similar experience and what to do ? He is unaware and of course we wouldnt wish to embarrass him.Seems petty in the big scheme of things ,I know, but am just wondering is it some change in his body s metabolism or what?:shock:

Has he had any med changes lately. They can change the body chemistry. The body throwing off ketones during weight loss can produce odours. His being cold makes me think of weight loss. A doc can check it with test strips I believe.

AL.

Anastasia ... I have noticed it on myself from time to time. Can't identify it as salty, but def. sour and unpleasant. When I notice it I sneak off for quick body washdowns two or three times a day. It's not too often ... every couple of weeks? ... but I've been embarrassed to ask about it. It worries me what will happen when I can't manage my own hygiene (I'm close to that point), and my poor caregiver will have to deal with it.

Also, I had my BiPap mask off for a couple hours this morning, and put it back on and it had a distinct vinegar smell. That has to have been from my breath, since I'm the only one around it. I don't know what that is about.

Al's theory of ketones sounds logical.

Thank you. I felt awkward mentioning it but am glad i did. Grampals theory re ketones etc is very possible and also re the weight loss. Thankyou also Bethu, and I appreciate how you must feel.As I say, in the big scheme of things , its not a big deal but it helps to understand these things when caring for our loved ones. Take care.

Anastasia,
My mom had a really bad odor that no amount of cleaning got rid of. Even after a fresh shower, with deodorant, teeth brushed, mouth swabbed with scope, and scented body lotion, it was still there. I was experiencing morning sickness from pregnancy while caring for mom and really really struggled with it. Especially when suctioning her. I never let on that she had the odor and we really never knew what caused it.

Thankyou re your response. I guess the losing weight factor ,metabolic changes etc come into it. At the end of the day ,we wouldnt be so hurtful as to mention it but was wondering.
How you doing now your mum has gone. Must be a real absence in your life after so much involvement. We hope you are taking care of you and yours.:smile:

I'm doing ok now - thanks for asking. The first three months or so I was just a mess all the time. All the firsts have been hard. First Mother's Day, my first birthday witout her morning phone call. The worst was the day we found out we are having a boy, all I wanted to do was call and share my excitement (she was sure it was going to be a boy she told me before she died). The last two months or so have been a little easier. As time passes healing takes place but I miss her more. In a few weeks when the baby is born will probably be the hardest becasue she loved loved loved her grandchildren and for me not to share that special occasion with her will leave me feeling a little lonely despite it being a happy occasion. I miss her everyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back