04/2008
Country
AUS
State
South Australia
City
Adelaide
Hi all.
Have just started on this journeyand am not good at making entries and went to a page that told me I couldnt enter posts there.
y biggest issue at the moment is dealing with our loved ones depression. He was so positive 2 days ago and now back to answering attempts to have a conversation with monosyllables and has now refused the Fathers day breakfast prepared for him. Maybe things will improve as the day goes on.
How ,on a one to one basis, do people find is the best way to deal with this, go quiet or try to engage in some activity etc ?:?::-(

Get some medication for him and make him take it. Emotional problems are a real concern with this disease and cannot be managed without the help of medication. Please talk to a doctor and get him/her to prescribe something.

Joel is right. ALS not only affects nerves and muscles, but it messes with the part of the brain that controls emotional expression. Mood swings and "inappropriate" emotional outbursts are common, but fortunately, can be handled with medications.

It is VERY hard on the caregivers, but also hard on the patient, as he cannot control what's happening. Your doctor can help.

Generally, I'd say just let him be until he is back to himself again.

Thank you guys for your responses and advice.It helps to share even if there are no total answers and or remedies. The advice re getting our loved one an anti depressant is some thing I had thought of. He has been taking small doses of an anti anxiety medication as he was terrified with the diagnoses, howevver he has always been a person who clams up ,until ready to speak.
Thanks again.Its great knowing we can all support each other.

Re our ED S depression, things have got worse. I have mentioned getting help from his doctor but he just wants to see the neurologist which is 2 weeks away.He s started taking more of his anti anxiety meds which can have a depressant effect. also wont chat except in single word comments most of the time. Ed has silently battled depression and mood swings for as long as I can remember, and so we knew this diagnoses would be extra difficult. Obviously we have a long road ahead, and the physical symptoms are minor compared to how they will become.
We are so concerned that if he cant over come the emotional he will not make the most of the relatively good health he has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back