Old 02-11-2018, 11:41 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Leadore
State: Idaho
Diagnosed: 01/2018
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Idaho2790 is on a very distinguished road
Default Anterior Horn Cell Disorder

Just received a written report of the EMG I had taken in late January. At that visit I was told that I was diagnosed with PBP. The report, however, says that although I was referred for a question of motor neuron disease, the EMG/NCS findings fall far short of electrical criteria for MND. says cannot absolutely exclude anterior horn c ll disorder in early stages. Further, the EMG shows only “mod red”of the left tongue muscle. Normal on all the rest. What would lead the doctor to believe it is PBP.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:20 PM #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Anterior Horn Cell Disorder

I guess it’s possible I don’t understand the EMG report. I had thought from other replies that the Emg would define the diagnosis
Old 02-11-2018, 03:31 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud of

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud ofKarenNWendyn has much to be proud of

The wording “cannot absolutely exclude anterior horn cell disorder” is just doctor talk for saying that a motor neuron disease is a possibility. Since diagnosing a specific motor neuron disease requires meeting a number of clinical criteria with EMG being just one of these, the doctor reading the EMG results usually will not diagnose ALS or other MND exclusively from the EMG alone. Sometimes they’ll also use language such as “clinical correlation advised”.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:03 PM #4 (permalink)

If the Emg was good, I just wonder why I was diagnosed with progressive bulbar palsy. Unless it was just because of the notes regarding my left side of tongue. I guess I can understand the note on the EMG more than a definite diagnosis for PBP. Too new to this to know why.i don’t know what “mod red” means.

Last edited by Idaho2790 : 02-11-2018 at 04:05 PM Reason: Add sentence
Old 02-11-2018, 05:17 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

PBP is a disease that affects three key nerves, and from what you describe, the EMG highlighted that at least one of them is damaged, without evidence of damage to other nerves. So that, coupled with your history and symptoms, would be the key evidence for any PBP dx. "Mod red" means "moderately reduced."
Thanks from
Idaho2790 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 PM #6 (permalink)

That gives me a little more information...thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
cell, diagnosed, early, emg, lead, mnd, motor neuron disease, muscle, pbp, stages, tongue