Old 02-03-2018, 06:23 PM #1 (permalink)

City: North Richland Hills
State: Texas
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
Livealot is on a distinguished road
Default Sign language ?

I'm thinking about buying a book on signing .Jim can't talk at all. We could communicate this way. He still has full use of his hands , but typing everything slows him down , some day's he will just shake his head and give up.Ironically his texting skills are great.Would this just be one more hurdle for him?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sign language ?

I'm sorry, are you saying Jim is better at texting on his phone than typing on a laptop? Is that how he communicates? Could he use a different keyboard app on his phone -- some are better designed for fast typing, e.g. with better word prediction and/or swiping to connect letters. Or if fine motor movement is more difficult, a tablet, with wider "keys" might help.

Not knowing how fast he types and how long he will be able to, answering whether signing would be better is difficult. I would probably try to make the most of what he has before deciding.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited by lgelb : 02-03-2018 at 11:23 PM
Old 02-04-2018, 10:36 AM #3 (permalink)

Thank you Laurie. He type's fairly fast. When texting too. The text to speech is the size of a hardback book , it just takes a while to hunt and peck the letters out.I think he is nervous knowing someone is waiting on him to reply. I really appreciate you being on this site to offer help.I know that you lost a love one to this terrible disease .Have a nice Sunday , Dee
Old 02-04-2018, 11:19 AM #4 (permalink)

City: Lenexa
State: KS
Diagnosed: 01/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Wilson2009 is on a very distinguished roadWilson2009 is on a very distinguished road
City: Lenexa
State: KS
Diagnosed: 01/2017
Wilson2009 is on a very distinguished roadWilson2009 is on a very distinguished road

Dee, did the VA provide an AAC device for him? There are also several iOS and Android AAC applications if he is looking for a smaller footprint. I have Speech Assistant on my iPhone. It comes with many canned statements and phrases plus allows you to add your own most-used responses for quick recall.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:40 PM #5 (permalink)

We are going to the Dallas VA next week to look at some different text to talk , one evidently has phrases to program. The phone app sound's great. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:40 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Chincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura about

City: Carrollton
State: Virginia
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Chincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura aboutChincoteaguer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livealot View Post
I'm thinking about buying a book on signing .Jim can't talk at all. We could communicate this way. He still has full use of his hands , but typing everything slows him down , some day's he will just shake his head and give up.Ironically his texting skills are great.Would this just be one more hurdle for him?
I posted this on another thread about signing. My grandmother could not hear or talk and did not have benefit of a school for the deaf and blind. She had her own sign language including body gestures, etc. she effectively communicated with those who knew her. You've probably already done this but you could make up your own sign language to supplement other methods of communicating. My wife and I have created/evolved several signs that we use to communicate. It really helps. Hands flat and in front of face (not touching face) means TV. Rubbing fist together and pointing to wash room means check washing machine or dryer. Pointing at certain objects. (wheelchair means a potty break is needed).
Old 03-06-2018, 12:22 PM #7 (permalink)

City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to all
bigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to all

I think it would increase the anxiety and frustration to learn sign language.

I have to communicate with text or PC. I text my wife while she and I are in the same house. It is not ideal, but it is the only way I can communicate accurately. I haven't been thru a drive-up window in about 5 years. I use a clip board when I need to go to Home Depot or Auto Zone.

It TRUELY SUCKS!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:18 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

The text to speech apps with phrases and the ability to create and store your own phrases is, in my opinion, the way to go.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 PM #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livealot View Post
Thank you Laurie. He type's fairly fast. When texting too. The text to speech is the size of a hardback book , it just takes a while to hunt and peck the letters out.I think he is nervous knowing someone is waiting on him to reply. I really appreciate you being on this site to offer help.I know that you lost a love one to this terrible disease .Have a nice Sunday , Dee
This completely explains what we go thru, especially "I think he is nervous knowing someone is waiting on him to reply". That is exactly why I don't use my text to speech in public. Usually people in general are very impatient and some are just plain rude!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
book