Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Maine
City
Farmington
My mother (not I, as it says in my profile), who is almost 75, has recently been diagnosed with PBP. We first noticed that her speech was changing last summer. Here's my question: My mother has macular degeneration as well as PBP. This means that she can't see people's faces. She also can't read without a machine (and even then, can't read much), and although she can write, she can't read what she's written and often writes right on top of a line she's just produced.
Even if her PBP does not progress to ALS, I can envision a time when communication will be tricky because of her macular degeneration. She could not use a communication board in which she needs to look at or see what she wants. Her hearing is basically OK. I am starting to teach her a little rudimentary sign language (expressive, not receptive), and am wondering about computers that talk.
I can make my iBook read, but I think I would need another program to make it say the letters I type. My mother has arthritis as well and is somewhat clumsy as to hitting the keys, but I think this might be something that could help her.
Any suggestions would be very welcome. I'm glad this group is here.
Andrea

Hi,

A free program that reads aloud what you type as well as anything you cut and paste in it, is available at Readplease.com. You download the free program and another (30 day demo of the more advanced program) and the free program is available on your computer for ever. Please let me know if this works for you. There are other programs that cost money but less than 50 -100 dollars. Best Wishes to you and yours, Peg B

Arrgh

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, it looks as if it's only for Windows ...:cry:

oops

Sorry about that. I thought the message hadn't gone:oops:
I've fixed my profile, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back