Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
New Mexico
City
Albuquerque
I am a new member and I want to thank all of you for your wealth of information.
I have been reading your posts since September 2011 when I first noticed slurred speech and shortness of breath. After 4 months of being pushed around from test to test I got a diagnosis of Bulbar Palsy or PBP, depending on which neurologist you talk to. My local one is saying BP and the Mayo Clinic says PBP.
In 5 months I have gone from normal to very slurred and slow speech, I get out of breath walking up 10 stairs and I choke on thin liquids about once every three weeks. The scary thing for me is the speed with which this is all happening and the doctors say nothing. This forum has already helped be 100 times more than the doctors I have talked to.
I have the emotional outbursts as well but since I have been taking dextro/quinidine they have reduced by about 80%.
I know everyone progresses at a different rate but has anyone experienced this fast of a progression?
I feel like I am on a train that is accelerating out of control.

My neuro said PBP as I have the laughing/crying jags at oddball times.. like nothing to cry/laugh about. At the moment my breathing isnt bad but I have the slow slurred speech. I choke on dry things like rice or coconut cookies or nuts. My speech started when friends would come for coffee as on the phone I sounded drunk at 10 am. That started Dec 2010 and family dr sent me to neuro in Jan 2011. I sound like a squeaky duck now. Don't know if that is fast or slow. Do you have muscle spasms in limbs? I have in left arm and fingers. Good luck getting more answers. People here are very helpful.

I have bulbar too. I still can eat but I have a slurred, nasal voice. No crying/laughing as of yet. Stick with this forum, It has answered questions my ALS neuro couldn't

I have a few spasms that lasted about 30 minutes.

My DX was 05/11, started in right foot drop, weak knees, moved to right arm and hand and then left arm and hand. Have many many episodes of laughter and crying without reason. I feel mine has progressed rather rapidly. No pope are at this time.

Blessings to you!

Everyone is different in the speed of every thing. All you can do is take one day at a time. And give support and get support when every you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back