Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
TN
City
Jackson
Things are getting worse and worse for my mother. We now have hospice, and basically she is now having someone stay with her all the time. She still walks with her walker, but if things keep progressing within the week she will no longer be able to do this. Tonight is my night to stay over. Just got thru helping her into hospital bed. She sits on side and then has to have help lifting legs and get comfortable, which is where the problem is. I feel so helpless and get so upset. She cannot speak, so she has to write everything down, so she just can't say do this or that. She has barely any control over her neck now. She cannot lay flat because she could not breathe. Trying to get her comfortable is so frustrating. She has her pillows and also a U shaped pillow she uses. I walk out of there at night so upset. During the night if I get up to check on her, her head is hanging over. In the past you all have come thru so if any of you out there could share anything you have found that works I would be so grateful.

Thanks for anything you all can share.

I can imagine it's very hard and frustrating for you and your Mom. Take a deep breath. There is a recent post with links to an inexpensive and easy to use communication device. I'll post the link but it will go to moderation and will show up later. God bless you and your Mom.
Hugs

I have one of those black round travel pillows that snap under my chin it is not uncomfortable and it works real good for me. If I sleep in bed neither my husband or myself get any sleep I can't get comfortable if I sleep in my chair we both get a good nights sleep. We use baby monitors so he can hear me.

Does she have a comfy recliner? My husband sometimes has to sleep in his. It leans way back, but not too far and provides support from the arm rests.

Does she have any bolsters to place on each side of her body? That might help keep her positioned, along with the above mentioned soft neck supports.

Hope you can find a solution!

I am a guy that cannot talk,with the hospital bed I am now comfy at night,I would keep it simple for your Mom,ask her yes or no questions,if she is happy blink twice if not blink once,if something is wrong blink three times,it is hard for her and I know you want her happy,at this point just work on the basic issues.Best of luck----------------------Hugs Ken------------------

I find sleeping in my electric lounge chair is most comfortable because i can recline back but not flat....I roll a towel under my neck which supports my neck in the right position. But communication is the most important and requires great patience on both sides,....i think yes and no questions are the easiest, especially at night.....does she have use of her hands? You could get her a mini notebook and she could type what she wants during the day....praying for both of you....hang in there.

If she has Medicare they will help pay for Dynavox it will speak for you, you can control your tv, my cell phone is set up to when someone calls it shows up on my screen The phone rings twice my ear piece automatically answers i have internet . For me it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back