Reason
CALS
Country
AUS
State
N S W
City
Armidale
Hi My 94 year old mother has recently been diagnosed with Bulbar Palsy. Many of her friends are no longer with us and as she is unable to speak it is difficult for her to have
social contact. She has expressed a hope of finding a "sympathy sister" ( her words) to talk about the condition and life in general!
Is there anyone who would like to become her penfriend? She is much happier writing than typing but I thought that I would type up her words for posting- or perhaps as an email?

I have bulbar onset ALS, meaning I've lost the ability to talk and swallow. I am younger, 52 and rely on a iPad, iPhone and speak it app. But she's 94 and that generation was left behind with computers. Tell her I feel for her, it's very hard to not talk in a talking world. It's part of what makes us human.

Thank you so much for your reply ccuths- my mother, Betty, was moved by your words and was sad for you that your age of onset was so young. She has had a long and healthy life and is still able to do her chores and look after herself with support. She agrees that talking is important especially for someone with lots of ideas!

Hi Veraann,
Send my best regards to your mom. I'm 51 and have bulbar onset. My speech is very nasal and slurred. Why don't you show her this thread and tell her how many people care about her here. She should have social contact. It's so important. There is a thread called "come to tea" she might enjoy that. We just chat about what is going on in our lives that day. It's light and fun to read. If you can navigate the computer for her I'm sure she'll enjoy it.

Thank you Susan for your suggestion of come to tea.....I have placed a post but inadvertantly thanked Helen L! Sorry....hope to hear from you again....

Saw you at tea! :)

yeah I would like to, let me know. I am 52 with onset of bulbar, still working as best as I can. Only go thing is I can get Medicare quickly once I quit working. Have a wonderful day and let me know. T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back