Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Centerville
Any ideas to help control drooling. I'm taking gly.... But it doesn't really work for me. I've been walking around with a washcloth dangling from my mouth. It works, but I look rather weird. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:?:

theres a saliva patch- sorry cant think of the name.
there are certain meds that can be taken. I know amitryptoline helps some. Its also used for depression and to help with sleep.
Some say Botox injections into the salvary gland can help. But research this.. I think it can sometimes get worse. Dont quote me on that.
Hope this helps.

theres a saliva patch- sorry cant think of the name.
there are certain meds that can be taken. I know amitryptoline helps some. Its also used for depression and to help with sleep.
Some say Botox injections into the salvary gland can help. But research this.. I think it can sometimes get worse. Dont quote me on that.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, the patch sounds good. I'm a little afraid of injecting bottom into my mouth area. I already have trouble mucous my lips and tongue.

My mom takes the ampitriptylene(not sure of spelling) to help her drooling. She takes two pills at bed time and sometimes three if its been worse that day. Some days if it is real bad she will take a half during the day. She tried the patch but it didn't help her. We checked with her doctor about the botox, he said sometimes that makes your mouth hang open more. I know it has to be aggravating, she tells us that some days she feels like she is a running faucet. God Bless

The patch is called scopoderm or hyoscine over here. Works for many people. For a few not so good. My pals was one of those, just made her confused & dizzy. Definitely worth a try though. She's on the glycopyrrolate plus the top dose of amytriptylene.(started small & worked up over time) Also available in some places is Botox which I understand works for a few months at a time and radiation of the glands which is more permanent but may lead to the reverse problem-dry mouth. In the meantime, hope you customise that washcloth!

I take Amitriptyline 25 mg every night and it helped me with my extra saliva and has improved my sudden crying or laughing.

Hi, My PALs had Botox injections for severe drooling and it did help some what. He had used the Scope patch and Hycosomine in the side of his cheek with little success. We live for select-a-size Bounty,which I cut in quarters. He has the use of his left hand and is able to suction himself. For some reason symptoms are worse in the evening and night. Maybe fatigue. Who thought that this would be such a big problem. Good luck. Let us know if you discover something. Hannacat

We use gly...and atropine drops. The patch caused very bad side effects. The meds we use seem to work fairly well, but the suction device and lots of tissues are still a must.

What dosage of atropine do you use? My mom goes to her doctor next week, and wanting to talk with him about atropine. The drooling is something that bothers her so bad. What dosage have you found that works?

when my doc gave me Amitriptyline in 25 mg he said take one in morning and berfore bed but be careful may make you drowes so he told me to just take at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back