Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
TN
City
Jackson
I am constantly thinking of things I want to find out more information on. My mother has a feeding tube and was still eating for pleasure some but now that has gotten so limited. She can eat scrambled eggs and puddings and that is about it. She told me yesterday she would love to eat something that was not sweet. Soups are too thin so I was wondering if anybody out there has come up with some things they have been able to handle better than others. I know everyone is different and in different stages, but any suggestions would be welcome,

Try checking out the Food, Recipies and recreation forum. There is a lot of information there.

AL.

try kraft mac n cheese and can ravioli. i find those two easy to eat n swallow.

Have you thought of chewing then spitting it out just to get the taste? Have you used thick-it to thicken the soups?

I find it almost as hard to spit it out as to swallow.....Mashed potato with lots of butter and sour cream...smoothies. Best things for me and soups...Lin

The sweet potato soup recipe that is given here on the forum would be good because it is the consistancy of thin pudding rather than watery.
And, I might add, it is absolutely delicious!

I am still trying to work around on this website where do you find these recipes mentioned, the forum that is mentioned. These sound very helpful and I want to get some of these recipes,

Thanks everyone!

I was disgnosed on 10/09 with ALS bulbar onset. My speech is about gone and my swallowing is effected. Milkshakes are my favorite. All kinds of fruit nectars go down easily. I eat creamed soups (Cream of Chicken, Cream of Celery. Cream of Mushroom or whatever I can find) and put it over small meatballs, so I get some protein in the meatballs. I also put it over fish. I know what you mean about sweet. The sugar goes down better. I put very small amounts of food in my mouth. I also drink V8 for some vegetables. Mac & cheese is good too. I love tapioca pudding and make it all the time. It slides right down. I know we are all different but give everything a try.

Coughing

I have recently developed a cough which becomes worse at night. Is this part of the disease. I was diagnosed 10/09. I have heard there are cough-assist machines but I am able to cough, its just that I go on coughing for 20-30 with no relief. Any suggestions.

I would recommend Boost puddings, they are high calorie and easy to eat. I used to buy them by the case, mostly chocolate but also in vanilla. Mac and cheese is good and I used to do canned ravioli and also I would pour ready made alfredo sauce over almost everything to help it go down.

Good luck and keep on eating for as long as possible!

Chris, re the coughing. I guess that it all depends on why you are coughing. It is not a normal part of ALS per se but it can be an attempt by the body to get rid of an irritant from the lungs. A cough assist machine is used to help clear mucous up out of the lungs when the normal cough does not have enough force due to decreased pulmonary function. Have you had a breathing function test?

The only three recommendations I have to make are YOGURT(not the fatfree kind, least sugar is better.BANANAS..........and POTATOS in that order. Each one is a food, that on its own,by itself, will sustain life........if you eat enough.

How about grits, with lots of butter, a little cheese and salt and pepper, and throw in a little bacon grease for flavor. Top with an over medium egg. HUGS Lori

Chris, re the coughing. I guess that it all depends on why you are coughing. It is not a normal part of ALS per se but it can be an attempt by the body to get rid of an irritant from the lungs. A cough assist machine is used to help clear mucous up out of the lungs when the normal cough does not have enough force due to decreased pulmonary function. Have you had a breathing function test?

Thanks Barry for the advice, I have had a breathing function test and it was ok. I am finally over my cough, which my doctor said was probably a post nasal drip. I took some Mucinex and it seemed to work. Thanks also for the food tips. I am always looking for something different to eat that I can swallow.

how about grits, with lots of butter, a little cheese and salt and pepper, and throw in a little bacon grease for flavor. Top with an over medium egg. Hugs lori

i love grits and i love cheese. Thanks so much for responding. Chrisq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back