Diagnosis
12/2008
Country
US
State
TN
City
Columbia
WOW ! Got approved for an electric scooter ! I am so happy as I have been avoiding anything that required walking any distance. I would not even go shopping with my wife on a lot of days. It gets really depressing just sitting home. We used to love to go to craft shows and flea markets as well as outdoors things like camping and fishing.

The new scooter will be an Activecare Pilot 2410. You can check it out at Activecaremedical.com. It is an indoor outdoor 4 wheel scooter.

This will greatly improve things during the winter when I would normally be trapped in the house. At least now I can go to the mall with my wife and get out of the house.

Guess you can tell I am a little excited !

That's great news, but be careful. I was told that insurance only covers one mobility device for a 5 year period (in my case). so if you get this scotter now, you might have to stick with it for a while. If you think you will need a PWC in future, then buy/rent a used scotter on your own and let insurance pay for PWC when you need it. Good Luck!

Does this scooter have the functions you will need as the disease progresses? You need to let your insurance know that you have a progressive disease and what functions you will need it to perform in the future. Not many insurance companies know anything about ALS. Mine didn't. They wanted to give me a scooter. I had to educate them and they approved a Pride Quantum 600 that will provide for my future needs.

I think getting new things like a power chair or schooter is pretty exciting.

Congratulations! Take a spin in it for me when you get it!

Zaphoon

Congrats on getting out. Freedom is one of the few things left to us. Enjoy it.

Get a big basket for the back , for those flea market scoots.

Glen

thats great enjoy yourself, i'm sure you are smiling ear to ear :)

That wonderful news! I have looked into scooters for my husband and its a bit overwhelming...some for indoor, some for outdoor. I don't know which one is best for multipurpose and longevity as some have pointed out.

Thanks for all the replies.
First: I was evaluated for my current and future needs. Currently I am having weakness and balance problems. I can handle that with a cane for short distances. It has taken me about 6 years to reach this point. So we felt a scooter would be good for five years at least. The main problem now is I cannot walk any distance.

Yes it is hard to choose what scooter is the best. Just compare the specifications on them like ground clearance, distance, seat etc. and determine whick one best suits your needs.

In my case ground clearance and available distance to travel between charges was important to me. I want it for mainly outdoor use.

Thanks
Rodstew

Great . I thaught if Medicare would pay i would like a SEGWAY ,.LOL LOL LOL Yah they are really stable . But $$$$ I was told Medicare pays according to your weight . Im small so the guy told me i only qualified for the small one . I said good i dont need one yet . Geo

I wanted a Harley but my mid-life :shock: crisis turned out to be physical not emotional so I got a walker instead.

Sorry for laughing at that one Barry!

You guys are toooo much. I always tell my hubby that people get corvette's for the 40th birthday, why did I get ALS? I guess we should all be playing the lottery who know's?:razz::razz::razz::razz:

Hello, my name is Sheri, my husband, Tom, was diagnosed in 2007 with PLS but had symptoms prior that he would not/could not address. I've never done this before, post on a forum, but my eldest son suggested that I find a pls support group to assist us both in what we have been facing and what we will face. I've been looking for a power chair for my husband as he's really no longer able to walk. The cane is no longer useful and the wheeled walker is not enough. He falls too often and tires so easily. I'm looking to find something both indoor/outdoor so he's able to go outside and something easy to control and maneuver. I have yet to inquire re insurance assistance in payment and he doesn't qualify for medicare. Is the scooter store a rip?

I just bought an Ipod touch and am about to purchase the Proloquo2Go software to install so he can get assistance with his speech. Has anyone used this?

I apologize I feel like I'm rambling...I'm overwhelmed at what lies ahead as my husband recently had to leave his job due to the rapid progression of the disease. I feel alone, afraid, and am so heartbroken to see what has been happening to my husband.

Sheri,

Fear not! Thou hasn't rambled! I have PLS (so says the neuro) but am still ambulating just fine. So, I can't give you any advice on "The Scooter Store". I am sorry to see that your husband no longer has good use of his legs. I am guessing that your husband is not a service veteran (our day is tomorrow! Happy early Veteran's Day!)

As you have no guessed found out, scooters and power chairs are pricey. There are many on this forum that I'm sure will be able to give you better replies.

Zaphoon

Welcome,
To the forum, first of all does your husband go to an ALS clinic? They should be able to help you get your husband the proper chair and such. I also think that he should be able to get automatic disability as well as medicare. Depending on the doctor's wording and help, disability should be not a big issue. I hate when I hear of so many on the forum who are not aware of the services that are avaliable to them.; I hope we can help you with the stuff we fellow patients and caregivers have found out along this journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back