Diagnosis
12/2001
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Ruskin
Our Brains have issues ,But our ability to reason is not impaired . We may not move good, But we can reason things out . So come on now and lets reason things out . Anyone have any new info lately ? Geo:?

New Info ?

When you step in Canada Goose shit on the grass, it is slippery.
Now you know.

hi geo.
how are you in sunny florida?

i did find an article and it had some possible causes or contributing factors in developing mnd,here it is.

What are the causes of motor neuron disease?
MND happens when motor neurons lose their function gradually and progressively. Motor neurons are neurons that send electrical output signals to muscle neurons, also called motoneurons. Motor neurons are found in the brain and spine.

When motor neurons relay signals from the brain to the muscles and bones, the muscles move. Motor neurons are also involved in many of our automatic movements, such as swallowing and breathing.

Scientists are not sure why motor neurons start to lose function. They believe several inter-related factors cause MND, including:
Excess glutamate - glutamate is a neurotransmitter, a messenger chemical that transmits data from cell-to-cell. Some studies indicate that people with MND have too much glutamate. Abnormally high levels of glutamate may be toxic and could lead to a disturbance in the chemical communication required for good nerve function.

Cell metabolism - transport systems exist in all cells that bring nutrients and chemical components into the cell, while at the same time moving waste products out. Scientists say there are indications that these transport systems are disturbed in the motor neurons during the initial stages of MND., resulting in poor nerve function.

Aggregates - unusual clumps of protein molecules have been found to accumulate in the motor neurons of MND patients. Scientists believe these aggregates undermine the normal functioning of motor neurons.

Lack of antioxidant production - research indicates that the motor neurons of patients with MND do not produce enough antioxidants to neutralize the free radicals that emerge as a natural by-product of cell activity. Oxygen free radicals are a type of toxic waste cells produce - antioxidants mop them up.

Mitochondria of motor neurons - research has found that the mitochondria of motor neuron cells of people with MND appear to be abnormal. Mitochondria provide the energy cells need to carry out their normal function - they are normal structures responsible for energy production in cells.

Neurotrophic factors - these are molecules, usually proteins, that facilitate the growth or repair of nerve cells. It has been found that neurotrophic factors are not produced properly in patients with MND, making the motor neurons more susceptible to damage.

Glia cells - these cells surround neurons and provide support for them and insulation between them. They also provide motor neurons with nutrients and relay data from one cell to another. In some cases, problems with glia cells can affect the motor neurons.

i have been intreseted in the possibility of mitochondrial desease being a contributing factor.
also i strongly believe glutamate is a culprit,it is well known to have some involvement in many neuro degenerative deseases.

Thanks Kiddo . How are you also ? I think the glial Cells things for me is right on . Im starting to have alot of Neuro Hypoglycemic issues this year . Meaning i'll wake up and feel ok ,then i have Breakfast (cinamin Toast with raisons or Bagel with raisens,coffee ) Then i start getting the shakes and cant walk right and fall ,went to EMergency but they cant help so now i just lay down for an hour or so and im fine . So what is happening is my blood sugar is fine ,but it doesnt get to my Central Nervous system so you get the same thing that of you were a diabetic but your blood sugar is fine . So yah Glial cell something?At first i thought it was the caffeine so i got off and still had it . So ? They told me at the Hospital we cant help ,you again ,at that i said i hope you dont think im a nut case ,at that the Male nurse said we just dont have an answer for you Mr. Anderson . So now i just stay home when it happens and lay down . Your Friend Geo

Cut out the coffee and see if that makes a difference.

who,s the little cutie?
i,m talking about the baby not you geo:grin:

my son suffers the exact same attacks as you,has done for some years.
he can suddenly feel weak and start shaking,having something like chocolate or a juice helps.
he was tested for diabetes and his test was ok so i think he definatley has hypoglycemia.
he jokes (with a serious undertone)that i have passed my illness onto him,this is because he gets bad cramps and this year started with stiffness in his legs sometimes.

i have a intolerance to monosodium glutamate in food,gives me a bad stomach.
so glutamate is a good possible contributing factor in my case.

i did post on the sticky an article about someone with pls along with a company raising money for research in pls/umn desease .
thats what we need,more awarness and fundraising for research.

Your ALS article was so helpful. I actually forwarded to people in my address book. I am so grateful for your fine research, and Geo that does make a lot of sense. I agree that something in the diet can surely has some entire body effects. I often think of Celiac disease, those patients can have entire sytem break-down's. Thanks again, you guys make the forum the most special of places on the net.

OOOOOOOK I added some new Pics . Thats my Grandaughter . My Sweeties in my album . I got off coffee and still had the same , i recently started not taking one of my meds at a time to see if its not one of them . My Dad had Hypoglycemia and they told him eat a candy bar or something sweet . But i do think we hand our kids things down like a diseases . Ellie was a Very Very long struggle for my daughter and son in law . 9 yrs. of shots in the tumy , black and blue marks . She was the last Egg they had saved . So there is a God you see . Geo

Geo,
Oh my goodness I remember a couple of years ago your daughter was trying to conceive. Congrats, saved the best for last.. So happy for you and your family, such a sweetie. I think it is sad that you will not spoil her. Thank you for sharing the great news.. Love to hear such stories....:p:p

That Picture is a webcam Pic .We see them on the webcam and you can take a snapshot . yah we spoil, lots of internet shopping . Going up in November for Thanksgiving . I told them they will have to carry me if i get cold, my legs freeze up ,going to buy some long johns . Not looking forward to going in the cold . Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back