jl73

Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi,

I get hand cramps if I am grabbing things too long, like folding laundry, and foot (arches) pain in my legs (not that often). It seems to happen frequently, not constantly. I have the terrible lower back pain, and that seems to cause my legs (thighs) to hurt--not my calves too much. Sometimes it's neck pain, other times it's lower back pain, and sometimes thighs+back that hurt.

What is spasticity caused by? If it's a somewhat compromised or damaged spinal or nervous system, can they fix it? The body can repair the nervous system, to a small degree right?

For people with PLS, does this muscle pain get worse, or level off?
Sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm too tired to search back through the entire thing.

Thanks

Joe

Well Spasicity is a really hard symptom to explain, but it sure sounds like that is what you explain. I think you could explain spascity as constant tensing of muscles, it is painful, it is a thing that can be different on a day to day basis.

Joe,

The way that I understand spasticity relating to PLS goes like this: The upper motor neurons in the brain that communicate to lower motor neurons start to die off. This results in twisted messages coming from the brain via upper motor neurons to the muslces via lower motor neurons. It's like the "ON" switch is left open to the muscles which results in spasticity (tightness) and cramping.

It does vary a bit from day to day. I have fasciculations, as well, and my neuro tells me this is also due to upper motor neurons screwing up the messages. I had 2 clean EMG's last summer so I know my fascics are benign. Besides, after a year of fascics, my calf muscles look like those of a marathon runner. This is due to the work-out they are constantly getting from daily spasticity and cramping.

Somedays, due to stiffness, it has been difficult to get out of bed, bathe and get dressed. Other days, I walk around as if nothing is hardly bothering me.

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back