Diagnosis
02/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Pagosa Springs
Hi, I have reciently [2/09] been diagnosed with ALS[bulbar] starting with my speech and swallowing. The last two weeks I have been having uncontrollable twitching around my eyes... Has anyone had similar symptoms? Anything I can do for this? i love to knit. I was hoping I would at least be able to see and use my hands for a while? So sad. Lin

Hi Lin, Welcome to the forum. I am sorry about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with bulbar als in Jan 08 after a few months of testing and I know that if I ever knitted I would still be knitting. I have not experienced any twitching to speak of and vision problems are not part of any als symptoms that I've heard of. I am writing this on my DynaVox Palmtop3 with a tiny keyboard so my fine motor skills are still there (unless my hands get cold), I just can't talk or eat very well. I think that you'll be making socks for a long time!

Lin, I'm so sorry for your diagnosed, but I'm glad you found this forum.

I have twitching under my eyes (that was the first "symptom" I was aware of, back in 2002, which I never thought of as connected to any disease, let alone ALS; I just figured it was a nervous tic).

With bulbar onset you should be able to use your hands and remain mobile for a long time. I'm starting my fourth year since my "official symptoms" started in 2006. The disease has moved into my hands and arms, and they are weaker than before and show atrophy, but I can still use them. And ALS shouldn't affect your eyesight.

Take care.

Lin,

I'm sorry about your diagnosed. The twitching around your eye might be do to stress. I'm sure you are very stressed and nervous about the diagnosed.
It is a very common thing and happens to everyone not just people with ALS. As, Beth said ALS should not effect your eyesight.
Have you tried knitting maybe it will calm you and the eye twitches will go away.

Lin,

I'm sorry about your diagnosed. The twitching around your eye might be do to stress. I'm sure you are very stressed and nervous about the diagnosed.
It is a very common thing and happens to everyone not just people with ALS. As, Beth said ALS should not effect your eyesight.
Have you tried knitting maybe it will calm you and the eye twitches will go away.

Hi Crystal, The twitching is just like the movement in my chin and neck... It is almost constant,but more at the end of the day. Something more than a regular eye twitch. I hope you are right though and it is just stress..Thanks for your input.. smile!

Hi Crystal, Thanks for your comments. I have been have so much twitching around my eyes. It seems very much like the same thing that is going on with my chin and neck. I sure hope you are right though? Linda

Hi, you are the only one that thinks it is related to ALS.. Everyone else thinks it is just nerves? I hope they are right. It is just so much of the time I think it is more than stress? Lin

I am a knitter too, and I say keep on going! Rest your elbows on pillows or the arms of a chair to help with the strain, and keep those fingers limber. It's a great exercise for the fingers and it doesn't over do it. Overdoing exercise isn't good for ALS. Just enough is just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back