Diagnosis
02/2005
Country
US
State
RI
City
Providence
Just had a 6 month Neuro visit. Speech issues are the most frustrating for me. He and the speech pathologist were very interested in the experimentation I have been doing with nicotine. I will keep you all posted. The speech pathologist was great in explaining why the speech issues so I at least have an understanding of the issue. The best thing was that after the exam, I asked point blank if he found any sign of muscle atrophy [a sure sign that PLS was morphing into ALS], and he found none at all. He said he should have such tone.
On another issue, that of roller coaster emotions, he said that not only is it common in PLS, but he gave me the reason. The center in the brain that controls laughing, crying, and sneezing is right in front of the area that is affected by PLS. Therefore, the electrical issues that cause spasticity in the muscles, also can effect this center in the brain. We may try some meds to control it. I have always been a great laugher, but sometimes I cannot find the off switch and it is embarrassing...sort of like when you were in school and someone farted and you could not stop laughing!

I haven't posted in a while, but I was feeling a bit more positive about things. Hope all the regulars and newbies in PLS land are well.

Kenny

Hi Kenny. Check out the research Forum. They are doing a trial of a drug for emotional lability.

AL.

Kenny

That's Great news!
Please keep us posted on the nicotine experiment.

hi kenny

good to hear from you and even better to hear there has been no further progression.
it's funny you mentioned sneezing is in the same area as that for laughing and crying.
i sneeze alot and not just once, but at least half a dozen times once i start.
i know what you mean about not being able to turn the switch off when you start laughing,if something tickles me i can go on and on and on.
my son looks at me like i,m going mad.
please keep us updated on your progress and nicotine experiment.
take good care.
caroline:-D

Kenny,

That's great news. I know that the first few years as PLSers wait for the magic 3 year point, the Dr visits are very stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back