Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Altoona
Well, we certainly had an interesting week. My husband has been trying to sell items that he knows now he will never be able to use again. We were lifting and moving a 12ft aluminum fishing boat to the end of the yard to sell. We used to be able to truck top this particular boat and now we were only moving it several feet. The boat was upside down and my husband was at the front and I was at the back of the boat (we were trying to put it up on a wooden horse to prop it up). My husband lost his balance and fell over the boat and it pushed the weight of the boat back to me and I dropped the boat on my foot. Yes.... I spent the rest of the day at the hospital. Thank the good Lord my foot is not broken but it is deep purple from toes to ankle and looks like a small balloon. My husband was so upset that I got hurt and blamed himself profusly. I told him it was not his fault that it was my fault but he would have none of that. Could have been much worse if the foot was broken because then I couldn't help him either. God give us strength and courage to just get through each day. Amen! Gracie:(

Gracie, sorry to hear about your foot (glad it's not broken). One thing I've learned is that lifting or trying to carry things can really throw off my balance, I just seem to stumble and feel like I'm tipping right over.

Hope you feel better soon.

amen gracie

i am so sorry to hear about your accident. i do hope your foot gets better soon.
we all have bad days when things just dont seem to go right,or bad periods for that matter. but you have to just get back up,brush yourself down and carry on with things...........i think that is what is called life!.
i can not physically carry anything over 10lb due to muscle weakness and have to rely on my son or someone else to carry shopping etc.
i hope you and your husband have a good weekend and please rest your foot.
godbless you both.
caroline:-D

Gracie,
So sorry about your foot. I'm always afraid my husband will hurt his back trying to pick me up after I've fallen.

Take care of the both of you now:).

Sorry Grace to hear you hurt your foot . But weve learned that to move something you first pick it up them either move really really slow or do a pick up and move a little set down the move feet move a little slow then set down again etc etc. when Connie helps me move something i tell her now dont move fast and make sure you dont have to step over things (think it out ) Falling is easy for us but thinking is something we do good so Think Think Think before you do . When shes not home if i have something that may be a questionable item i Move it 2 foot at a time first stand over it ,then keeping center of gravity pick up and lean it over and set it down keeping center of gravity . I can lift somethings just need to not lean out off center of gravity or i'll go over . Learn Your limitations and stay within them ,learn what you can do and what you cant . I can move a 6foot ladder ,i pick it up lean it out ,set it down walk up to it and do this enough times to get it where i want it . Hope no more injuries Geo

Thanks for your support my friends. I always feel so much better when my heart is low and my burden heavy you guys always understand. Just saying, " I'm sorry that you are having a bad day", somehow does make you feel better, so thanks for being there for me. I thought about asking our Neuro if I could start a support group in our town as there is none here now, but seems as though we are getting to be an active area for ALS. If you can understand this because I sure don't, but sometimes when I read the threads it even depresses me more because I really feel your pain and I totally know that you guys are also feeling the same way we do and sometimes it just feels so hopeless. I have no answers, I guess time will tell and maybe if you are lucky enough to have PLS (isn't that a really stupid thought) but you know what I mean, you maybe gain strength and knowledge from the experience and possibly somewhere down the road you can help someone else go through this horrible experience. I guess I should have just read and not wrote today, sorry if I am a downer, MAYBE TOMMORROW WILL BE BETTER? Gracie:(

oh gracie we all feel like this sometimes but you are right to write it down and not keep it to yourself.
since october last year nothing seems to be going right in my life,just one problem after another. i sometimes think "just please god give me a break",i know its not his fault just life itself. so i can understand how you and your husband feel. hopefully better days will come soon. a big (((hug))) to you both.
godbless
caroline:-D

Caroline,

I'm sorry to hear that things have been constantly bad since October. I find that the saying "when it rains it pours" is so true. It seems like everything happens all at once.

Hang in there, the sun is sure to shine some day.

The Logic Behind that thinking is simple ,its called the Domino Effect .If you hit your hand with a hammer and get upset enough ,you most likely walk away and injure something else ,especially being out of Coordination as we are .This is where we have to learn to stop for just a moment and collect our thaughts
I found this out earlier this year ,my wife had gone for the day and i was watching a Movie ,i got up to go and get a drink when i lost my balance and went head long into the corner of the wall with my face ,i caught myself almost doing the same thing as i attempted to get up and walk away ,so i sat on the floor for a moment and got my wits back . i figured that in my efforts to get up i wasnt thinking ,but by getting myself to calm down by sitting there i was able to stand up and get the Blood off my face and wash the carpet .
So in sumation , keep your wits about you and dont get so upset you lose perspective . Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back