Diagnosis
5/2006
Country
uk
State
z
City
newcastle
Hi i would like to know if anybody else shares wot i beleive,that anti-deppressants mess with your nerves,that why ppl have mnd.plz dnt be offended.just personal thought and beleif of mine.

i don't know what has given you that idea? have you read anything about this?
emotional nerves and motor nerves are noway connected and antidepressants would not cause mnd.
however certain antidepressants are used to control long term neuropathic pain as they can be helpfull dampening down the cns. amitriptyline is often used to control chronic pain, i was on these for a number of years but i developed hypotension with long term use of all the meds i'm on so i decided something had to go and stopped the amitriptyline as i felt i could do without them.
take care
caroline:-D

fair enuff.but im not convinced.but respect ur views,thanx for sharig ur views.

you are very welcome, and yes we do have our own views but to avoid mis-leading anyone i always base my views on knowledge i have learn't/quoting from articles that are from trustworthy medical sites/journals. there can be an odd heated debate sometimes on the forums with differance of opinion, but none of us are experts.
please feel free to ask further questions and have a good evening.
take care
caroline:-D

There has actually been research done on certain classes of anti-depressants and they have been found to be neuro protective.

I really don't think anti-depressants cause ALS, BUT some psycho-tropic medications can cause neurological reactions e.g. some cause tardive dyskenesia:

Tardive dyskinesia is a neurological syndrome caused by the long-term use of neuroleptic drugs. Neuroleptic drugs are generally prescribed for psychiatric disorders, as well as for some gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Tardive dyskinesia is characterized by repetitive, involuntary, purposeless movements. Features of the disorder may include grimacing, tongue protrusion, lip smacking, puckering and pursing, and rapid eye blinking. Rapid movements of the arms, legs, and trunk may also occur. Involuntary movements of the fingers may appear as though the patient is playing an invisible guitar or piano.

Some meds may also cause Parkinsonian like symptoms. However, anti-depressants are also often a real necessity for coping with ALS for some people. I guess with all things you just have to weight up the personal risks and benefits for you. And obviously some people get no side effects. For my dad tranquillisers at night see him through.
Dee

zaffa......

No disrespect to you,but heres what i think happens lots of times with folks,example: I drank alot of say apple juice right before i got diagnosed with HSP,therefore apple juice causes HSP? I think as humans we all have a tendency at times to look for a blame to put on something or someone when really most of the time its just our misfortune.

Anyway I hope you get the answers you are looking for real soon,I will pray for you and I also hope you get to feeling better.{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}Michelle:-D

I really think that antidepressants can cause ALS

I am 24 years old and I never had any healty problems exept psyche thats why I took for 2,5 years Efexor and ween I get off from this start showes first symptoms.I know many people whit ALS what took antidepressants before get ALS and funny is that most of they take SNRI or SSRI and all of they start feel something wrong after take off this drugs.
I am sure that this drug make on my ALS ! Thanks for my doctor who prescribe this to me !

kuba

there are hundreds of millions of people who take antidepressants........yet als is rare.
there are so many things we can blame our illness on that effect most people.
no matter what we may feel triggers it off, if we do develop mnd it is down to predisposition or fault in our own bodies that determine we develop it.

Hi, Zaff ... I'm sure many people with ALS or other MND have looked back over their life and tried to figure out what caused it.

If you want to prove your hunch, you need to do a survey to find out how many people took anti-depressants and then got ALS. Also, you'd need to know how many people took anti-depressants and DIDN'T get ALS. And how many people have ALS but never took anti-depressants. This would be a big undertaking, but if you really believe that anti-depressants cause ALS, it would be worth it. Think of the contribution you'd make to science, and how many people you might possible save from developing ALS.

For the record, I've never taken anti-depressants, and I have ALS.

Good luck.

I'm the same Beth.

AL.

I agree with Beth...I had never taken anti depressants until I had als...then only took them a couple of days because the doctor said I should...no way...a couple of days was enough for me...never again.

I've never taken them either and I don't have ALS. (my input for your research)

just my input,

My sister who works for a prominent Md told me that over 50% of population are on or have taken a anti depress. Just her opinion, dont know how valid it is. If it was even a concern, I thiink they would be more on it. I thought it was the flu shot for me, yet millions take it every year, so who knows?

april

I wouldn't have ALS never ! if I was not on Efexor XR antidepressant.Nobody can get als so easy on my age and I take it soon after antidepressants and I don't need advice from people what think that is impossible ! zaff4444 know what I am saying antidepressants took our lives in young age ! shame for doctors who gives pils like this for people Joga is best thing for psche issue ! Now I know that but is too late !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back