Diagnosis
12/2001
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Ruskin
I think everyone of us has had this told us . So you go away thinking "did my elevator break or what . Did something in my head Blow a fuse . I dont feel i need a white Jacket with handles in the back . Matter of Fact i know i dont need one . We all somewhat have Normal Diagnostics MRIs EMGs etc etc . So when the Idiot that tells you that you'll know its time to look for a new one . Its simple that something has happened that the Idiots were no taught or they skipped class that day . We all just need someone that wants to help people instead of
filling his or her Pockets with our Money. Geo

luckily....

I guess i was lucky on that at least,I never had any doctor tell me it was in my head. I feel bad for the people who were told that.

Hang in there

Hi Geo,
So sorry that you had that lame experience today. I still remember the day that my husband and I read our medical records from our GP when my husband was complaining of slurred speech. His exact words were that my husband was over exaggerating his symptoms. That was the last time we went to that GP. We continue to search for Doctors that have compassion and think outside of the box. Hang in there.... tomorrow is a new day.

hello geo

sorry i have not posted to you for a while, had a lot of things going on. i have missed our little chats. i'd like to chat about 2 things.
firstly about this thread. "all in the head" is a crock of bull. i read in a news paper article this week that they have found that people with m.e share similar abnormalities in the genes and are pre-dispositioned to develop it. they now hope to find a definate way to diagnosed it and a cure. it is now a recognised neurological illness but there are some docs that still refute this as "all in the head". my mum has had m.e for many years and struggled to get the docs to take her seriously. this i think could help to find a connection/cure for mnd if they looked harder as i believe in the pre-disposition theory.

secondly i think you mentioned your mum had altziemers. my dad has had increasing memory problems such as forgetting the date/year/were he is going ect.
my mum took him to the doctors 2 months ago and the doc did a altziemer test and he was border line for dementia. since then he had blood tests that ruled out other causes for dementia. he has been visited by a nurse and phyciatrist from the local phyciatric hospital and they are concerned and want to do a brain scan. they have put him on anxiety meds as he gets anxious which is not like him. he is 65yrs old and i think is too young to have basic senial dementia. his brother is in the final stages of parkinsons and is a couple of years older than him. this is a very worrying time for us, i feel so helpless being ill as there is nothing i can do physically to help my mum if he does have
altziemers.
how are you? i hope you are doing ok.
take good care.
caroline:)

Whats M.E ? Maybe MS ? My thaughts on all these Diseases is they are all related to Viruses ,which there are no Cures Like when you get the flu They tell you to wait it out . Or Herpes they can give you antivirals but you always have it anyway ,or HIV is a virus ,No cure . If you and i did our Jobs this way we would be looking for a job 100s of yrs. and no answers ,but we can Make a Plane for Millions of dollars to spy on someone .We have people claiming to be of higher inteligence ,Give Me A Break . MRIs Show If ALZ some areas of the brain show atrophy or devoid of Brain matter . Mom was fine during the day ,but as soon as the Sun would go down she was not good (Something called SunDowners Syndrome )which goes with some who have ALZ .If you find hes more depressed in the evening or when lack of Sunlight (gloomy days) This could be the beginning . Geo

Geo, I have question maybe you can answer. I would have thought about this but during my first neuro visit he "pushed" on the bottom of my foot (I know I was sitting, but I don't remember if I had my leg out or just hanging off the edge of the table). Anyway, when he pushed it started bouncing and continued to bounce. He just seemed to show a lot of concern about that and he even had others (maybe intern's?) come into the room to show them an example. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I notice that same bounce all throughout the day. Some examples would be when I'm stepping down stairs, pushing on the emergency brake in my truck or pushing in a clutch with my left leg, when I'm sitting with my feet flat on the floor and I lift my heel up the just bounces, and even if I'm walking and stop sudden.

So long story short.....In the overall scope of nerve & muscle symptoms do you by chance know what might cause this?

My question is nothing more than just wondering if this has to do with spasticity or something else going on?

Your comments reminded me of the time I went to a Doctor for severe pain in the lower back. It had gone on for years and no one had a treatment for it. His answer was, "Do like the india gurus do when they lay on a bed of nails, Tell your mind it does not hurt and it will no longer hurt."

Now why didn't I think of that. I wonder if it will hurt if I hit him in the head with my baseball bat?:-D:-D:-D

Kevin,

I wonder if brisk reflexes have anything to do with what you describe.

I would think that this is related to brisk reflexes :?: .....I know when they do the normal "hammer to the knee" reflex test they better stand to the side or I'm going to kick them (of course there's a technical word for that also, I get too confused with all these big words for the symptoms) :-D. So I just try to explain the doctors how I feel and let them do there exam, then they can explain the important stuff to me, but like everyone I have a ton of questions "just after" I leave the office.

Kevin ,picture the nerve as a receiver and the neuron as the transmitter ,the Neuron sends its signal out to the Nerve which is in the Muscle ,the Neuron cant decide wether to hold that muscle in a particular position or not in response from a stimuli . I get this also .This is like the Eye twitches people get ,these are what i call Misfiring of the Neuron . Fasics are the same .If i hyperextend my foot (point it out toward something)
and try to hold it there i get this . When im driving my golf cart to somewhere in my Community ,the pedal is just a tad far so i'll hyperextend my foot to the pedal and it starts to quiver like it cant decide wether to stay there or not . Funny, i only get this in my leg or foot or ankle . The answer for me is Hypereflexia or spasticity . Hope this helps Geo

Perfect explaination Geo......I seem to do better driving also when my heel can rest on the floor and I am closer to the pedals. One good thing is my truck is an automatic, I drove a car with a clutch the other week and as I was trying to "feather" the clutch out my leg was shaking and bouncing (it didn't know what it was trying to do i guess).

I think this happens also without us realizing it ,when we walk ,for instance we have St. Augustine Grass here ,which is very Spongey if i use my cane and walk real slow ,i can make it OK , its like the signals get there very slow so the muscle dont respond . right away . So i would say do everything very slow . But having good and bad days can get confusing because you want to move normal but NOT IN THE CARDS for us . Geo

Geo,

Would you say that PLS has caused your walk to be slow or jelloy? Does it just seem like your movements are in slow motion or that your limbs just go in any direction?

One Word Sums it up for me Incoordination . if i chew too fast i'll chew my cheeks ,if i walk too fast i'll fall ,if i swallow too fast and on the wrong side i'll choke (liquids) And no i cant run as for stiffness in the legs and also will fall .That one word kind of sums it up for me . When i walk without cane its kind of slap the foot down fast or you'll fall not too much wide gait But incoordinate walk (Ataxic ) ? Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back